Sign in to follow this  

04 CRF450 clutch question - yellow painted discs - huh?

My manual references "two yellow painted" clutch discs, the remaining 6 discs have no paint. The painted discs are at each end i.e disc, plate, disc, plate... with a painted disc at each end.

pg. 29 of the owner's manual if you want to look at a picture

So I'm out at service Honda trying to order new clutch parts and they show different reference numbers for the end discs. But the painted and non painted discs are the same part number,huh....

Ref. No. Part No. Description Years

5 22201-MEB-670 DISK, CL FRICTION 02-04

22 22201-MEB-670 DISK B, CL FRICTION 04

So this tells me there are not different discs and I can just go ahead and order 8 discs, part # 22201-MEB-670 and use them in any order. Can anyone confirm?

I never noticed any difference in any of the plates but maybe i missed something. I put in new fibers about a month ago and they were all the same. no problems yet 😢

My manual references "two yellow painted" clutch discs, the remaining 6 discs have no paint. The painted discs are at each end i.e disc, plate, disc, plate... with a painted disc at each end.

pg. 29 of the owner's manual if you want to look at a picture

So I'm out at service Honda trying to order new clutch parts and they show different reference numbers for the end discs. But the painted and non painted discs are the same part number,huh....

Ref. No. Part No. Description Years

5 22201-MEB-670 DISK, CL FRICTION 02-04

22 22201-MEB-670 DISK B, CL FRICTION 04

So this tells me there are not different discs and I can just go ahead and order 8 discs, part # 22201-MEB-670 and use them in any order. Can anyone confirm?

Planet Honda's fiche shows two different part #'s (they list the 2 outer disks as "DISK, CLUTCH FRICTION" 22201-MEB-670, while the inner ones are called "DISK B, CLUTCH FRICTION" and have part #22201-MEN-670. I had my plates out the other day and was looking at them trying to see the difference. No yellow paint, but I did notice that the plates all have a number stamped on one of the 'tabs'. My 6 "inner" disks all had the number "12" on them, of the 2 "outer disks", one had a "9", the other had a "10" on it. Other than that, I couldn't see any difference. 😢

while we're on the subject of clutch plates...

When I took mine out the other day I realized that 3 of the tabs on each disk have a notch in them (on the outer edge). I didn't notice this until I'd already taken them out, so I didn't know whether the notches should all be lined up, or if I should stagger them when I put the plates back in. I'm guessing they're for oil flow and should be lined up, anybody know for sure? The manual doesn't say anything about it that I could find.

they stagger but it isnt mentioned anywhere in the manual...that thing is spinning so fast in a bath of oil...its all getting oil.

Just out of coincidence I saw this on RMD after reading this thread, so I thought I would post it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I tried EBC fiber clutch plates in my '04 CRF 450. They were essentially

not usable. I had to adjust throughout the ride and the clutch was so

grabby I thought it dangerous.

Installed a new set of stock Honda and it's as smooth as new. No adjustment

necessary. The stock Honda plates have a different part for the innermost

and outermost fiber and are a different thickness than the other plates.

I'm stumped. I looked at Planet Honda and they do indeed have different part #'s for the two outside friction disks. I wonder who is right, service Honda or planet Honda? I guess I'll head to a local Honda dealer and see what they have to say.

I also looked in the detailed Honda service manual 300+ page manual and they do not reference different friction disks.

Just wanted to update this thread for anyone doing a search on this topic.

If you CALL service honda and order clutch plates for an 2004 CRF450 you get exactly what matte mentioned above, same part numbers and quantities...all matches up. Their website has the WRONG part number listed.

I doubt it makes any big difference, but you never know.

I run all the same disk. I order them and did not realize there was two different disk. Hinson and local shops said not to worry about the two different disk. Hinson sells there clutch either way. It works great so I say F the two painted disk.

they stagger but it isnt mentioned anywhere in the manual...that thing is spinning so fast in a bath of oil...its all getting oil.

Do they stagger in any particular order/pattern?

I would greatly appreciate any info. I am reassembling my clutch tonight and want to be sure the plates and discs are put together properly. Thanks in advance for the info!

The two plates that have the different part number are supposedly a little thicker than the others. If you buy the Honda clutch kit, they separate those two fibre plates from the others. I've heard now, the kits you buy do not have two different fibre plates, they are all now the same. So it depends on who's web site you look at whether they will show all plates the same or two are different than the rest. The bottom line, even if you have a kit that has the two that are different numbers, they will work fine no matter what order you put them. Trust me, I've done it with no ill affects. I bought two of these kits, I installed the new kit without realizing two of the fibres were suppose to be different, it made no difference in my clutch and I did not install them the way they were suppose to go.

Thanks bransgi! In reference to the notches on the outside tabs of the clutch plates, do they need to be aligned from plate to plate or staggered in some sort of pattern/order?

Got an answer to my question last night...in case anyone else needs to know. Called the local honda dealership and the mechanic said the grooves don't have to be aligned but he always aligns them. So for whatever thats worth....