Sign in to follow this  

First race on 200exc and first ever first place

The third ride on my new 200exc was this past Sundays HS at Budds Creek and I won the 200 class (after protesting the results). This bike is simply awesome. I was able to maintain a clip that was unheard of for me on my old CRF. I seemed to never tire, I really felt like I had another 2 laps in me when time was up. Racing my Honda was torture for me, I always wanted to quit by the halfway point because the torque would wear me out so fast. I am so happy with my purchase. 😢

I ride a KTM 525. I had some motor issues and had to send it out to have it rebuilt. I ride mostly dual sport rides. Last Sunday was a charity ride in my area, I rode the 140 miles on a dual sported 2004 200exc. My face is still hurting from smiling all day. An awesome bike and one of my all time favorites. I bought the bike for my daughter, but I have not let her ride it yet. She may have to get her own 200exc.

Dale

Congrats on the Win.. If you were on your CRF you would've lapped everyone.. 😢 :cry: Just kidding...

It's amazing how you can thread the needle through trees with a lightweight little twosmoke. Sometimes the bigger bikes with bigger power aren't the best for all situations.

This weekend I rode a 525exc,450exc and a new WR. I can honestly say I'm way faster on my 300 than on a bigger fourstroke when the trail gets tight, I can simply lay the bike down in turns and not work that hard to go fast..

Good job.. 😢

Congrats!!! 😢 I am still waiting to test ride one of those babies. Hopefully I love it as much as you do and I have one by the end of the this riding season. 😢

You should try a 300 EXC as well since they only weigh about 5 lbs. more than the 200. After riding my WR426, I was totally wasted at the end of the day and sore for a week. Last Sunday, I was the one who could rail all the way for 63 miles even after a nasty crash and I'm not sore at all. I just sat at the truck and waited for about 5 minutes till my buddies showed up. 😢

I've ridden a WR426, 400 EXC and 450 EXC since I got this bike and they feel like tanks in comparison. Even my dad's CRF250X feels a lot heavier.

Cool deal and Good job on the race. I just got my 125sx last week I also have a 525sx that is a dual sport it is just to damn hard to ride in the tight woods. I was going to get the 200sx but could not get a deal on one like I did the 125 2004 125sx $3,900 brand new from my dealer. Like you said someitmes you just can not beat the light weight eazy to start small 2 smokes.

A long time riding buddy of mine has a 300exc and with my 140 lbs. on its back it is just to much. It is a blast to ride on the mx track but the power was almost as tiring as my CRF was. It is too big for me I didn't feel near as confident as I do on my 200.

Just out of curiosity what did you protest? Congrats on the results. I like light small bore bikes too but they don't haul my big body up hills very good.

Trick Dual Sport are the 200 exc oil injected I was reading in a manual and it says that the 200 exc has a seperate lubrication and the tank is 1.3 liter, If so that is my new dual sport when the 525 sells

At the last CC race I did on my 525EXC I saw a guy about 220 pounds racing a 200EXC and he placed 3rd, and there were some hills. The 300EXC is easier to climb hills on, but the 200 will climb them as well (little more clutch), but is way faster in the tight stuff.

If it weren't for the CA red sticker law, I would of gotten a 200/300 EXC instead of my 525. I loved my 2001, and I'm sure the 2005's are MUCH better.

Oh, a KTM 105sx got first place in that race. The kid was racing the youth class as well. I thought it was a 125sx at first cause he just flat blew by a CRF450R. I raced vet, so I didn't have to worry about being passed by anyone under 30. 😢

Cheers,

No I have to mix the oil myself. I got about 80 miles out of the stock tank. I just add about 3.2 ounces per gal of pump gas. The bike shake the oil up on its own. I was in a hurry to get my 525 bach together, but after last weekend I will ride the 200 until New Year.

Dale

If I had the coin, you know what I would have in mom and dad's garage? (Since I have no garage! haha!!) A 2005 KTM 250SX. Light as heck. I miss the lightweight of a two stroke, but man, I do love my 450. 😢

Congrats RAF!

I had to protest it because they added my second and third lap together to give me a 27 minute lap and I was running 13's for the other 8. They didn't catch it. It was raining and so muddy that there scanner wasn't working right I guess, but they were really cool and admitted they should have caught it, but now I have to wait till the next HS in January to get my trophy cause its too big to ship. 😢

OK guys, I need help. I have a 200EXC and I just can't seem to fall in love with it. It has too much of a hit for me and everytime it gets into powerband, it just rips the rear tire loose. This may be a California summertime thing, with all this dust and all. I have yet to try it in the winter here when it's tacky dirt.

Nonetheless, I finally gave up and bought a Honda CRF250X (sacrilegious, I know). I love that bike. That's mainly because it's a four stroke. They just seem to handle better. I can keep the tire hooked up and power thru the turns without the rear tire going off. I attribute this to four stroke engines more than to the Honda chassis.

Nonetheless, I still have the 200EXC, and all of your posts have really made me think I'm missing something. Everyone here thinks the 200EXC is an awesome bike, but I just can't keep that thing on the trail. That being said, I'm a very aggressive rider (sometimes too much for my own good), but it's more about keeping the tire hooked up. I adjusted the power valves to open as late as possible, and I have the stock pipes on there. This is all meant to get the power down low in the rev range, and reduce the hit.

My last ditch effort is to get a flywheel weight to smooth out the power hit. Any thoughts?

wgerola, I believe you have a set-up issue. The jetting with the appropriate needle is the key to success in solving your issue. Buy the JD kit from the TT store or log onto ktmtalk.com and read away. Go to the jetting forum and spend a day or two with the search function...you'll be glad you did.

The other thing that you can read about is gearing (dropping 2 teeth on the rear sprocket) as it will pull taller gearing easily when jetted properly and will help smooth the hit.