Sign in to follow this  

clutch basket confusion

I put a vortex basket in mine after I trashed the stock basket and it has held up great. This is the second one I have had in different bikes and each time I sold them the baskets were still in race shape.

when you say trashed the basket, what exactly to you mean?? Like broke or what??

yeah i tried to get a vortex already cause i get a great discount from them but they said they where on back order for at least a month maybe longer. mini o's will be here before that

i mean i grooved it so i filed it, then i grooved it and filed it again, and now its grooved, and i'm getting tired of it groveing in 3-4 months

deep grooves. I was at Splendora one weekend praticing on Saturday. The clutch started slipping. We hauled butt to HOH and picked up a new set of friction and steel plates. Put it all back together and raced the next day (on stock basket). No grooves at all. The next weekend at CrossCreek the clutch was slipping big time. I took it home and pulled it apart again and couldn't believe how bad the grooves were. After that I went to Vortex (Who was on back order at the time just before Loretta's) and finially got one from Motorcycle Parts LTD. Put it all back together and it has been strong ever since. No problems. I also put a new inner basket at the same time.

I am not the easiest rider on a clutch. I will admit that. This first year on a 4/stroke has been a learning experience.

Several buddies and I have gone with the Wiseco baskets, mainly because they are the only forged baskets on the market. Ours have all worked great so far. The CR450F basket from Wiseco comes with new cushions and a hex bit socket for torquing the new bolts. Don't forget to peen them with a punch too!😢

deep grooves. I was at Splendora one weekend praticing on Saturday. The clutch started slipping. We hauled butt to HOH and picked up a new set of friction and steel plates. Put it all back together and raced the next day (on stock basket). No grooves at all. The next weekend at CrossCreek the clutch was slipping big time. I took it home and pulled it apart again and couldn't believe how bad the grooves were. After that I went to Vortex (Who was on back order at the time just before Loretta's) and finially got one from Motorcycle Parts LTD. Put it all back together and it has been strong ever since. No problems. I also put a new inner basket at the same time.

I am not the easiest rider on a clutch. I will admit that. This first year on a 4/stroke has been a learning experience.

I just made the same mistake, but with mine it was the inner hub was trashed, i have never replaced a inner on any of the bikes ive had, it was always the outer. Im going to keep a close eye on the outer though.

I purchased a Magnum basket for my '00 426 after the stocker became grooved. I have 3 healthy seasons on it's still smooth as silk. Great value, if I were in your position I'd go the cheaper route; either Magnum or PE.

- Nick

The CRF baskets use rubber-like "donuts" between the ring gear and the basket. These donuts, crack and eventually come apart. As soon as they start to crack, they create radial slop between the ring gear and the basket. This causes hammering between all the clutch components and destroys everything. I've seen an '05 basket with 10 hours on it that already had cracked dampers.

When you get a new basket, get new dampers with it. Like the titanium intake valves, it's not a matter of if but when your dampeners are going to go bad.