Sign in to follow this  

14/53 gearing anyone?

i'm running 14-52. its relatively the same as 13-48. if you like 13-49, then i'm sure you'll like 14-53. 13-49 and 14-52 have about the same difference as what my gearing change was. its almost unnoticable. my thinking is that its less stress on your chain coming around a 14 tooth sprocket, so i decided to go for it. i had to grind the crap out of my case saver in order to run the 14 tooth though.

Yeah,what he said. 13/49 works out to 14/52.769 mathematicaly.So close I doubt you would ever notice a difference. And the chain and sprockets should last longer.

More versatile too.Easy to change the front sprocket back to a 13 tooth for super low gearing without changing the chain.

Adds extra weight though. 😢

I ran 14/53 on my '02, '03 and '04 CRFs... Very easy on the chain (DID VM X-Ring) and sprockets, only slightly lower gearing than stock 13/48 (3.692:1 vs 3.786:1) and a bit higher than the '02 stock 13/50... and the extra mass of the chain and sprockets made the power more tractable (to my offroad tastes) I didn't have any problems with the stock case guard, but did notice a bit more wear on the lower chain guides. I suspect a 53t rear is about as big as practical without modifying the rear chain guide.

I'm planning to try out a 13/50 combo on my '05...

I also ran my axle as far back as 117 links would allow... Seemed to make the rear end suspension work better in really rough conditions, but sacrificed a bit of turning ability.

I too run 14-52. I don't know why, but it really worked well on my CR250 as far as the rear wheel staying on the ground better. I guess I just brought it over as habit.

i ran the 14-53 combo for a long time and liked it. now i have a 13-47 just to try something different

Im running 14-53 also, I tried a 13-49, but the chain and sprocket life was pretty short, Ironman stuff lasted less than 5 months with that set up. Ive got two months on the new set up, and Ive only touched the chain adjusters twice.