Sign in to follow this  

dropped shim in engine

I was taking my head off my bike to bring it to the shop and have SS valves put in and i dropped down the cam chain slot. is there an easy way to get this out or do i need to open the case. i tried using a magnet but it did not work.

Oops!

If a long magnet on a stick doesn't work, drain the oil and turn the bike upside down, resting on the handlebars and subframe, and shake it. Yes, 2 people make this a lot easier. You don't want to split the cases for this if you can help it. Yes, it's a PITA. As primitive as it sounds, it has worked instantly for me the 3 times that my "friend" has done it.

If it went down the cam chain slot it should be laying somewhere behind the left side engine cover. This is where the stattor and fly wheel are. Drain your oil and pop this side off. Try not to move the bike anymore than you absolutely have to. Good Luck.

Just take the left side cover off after you drain your oil.

Been there. Done that. If you don't already have one, go to the local auto parts store and buy one of the telescoping magnet tools. Hold your timing chain up out of the way and run the magnet down there a few times. It will pick it up, no problem.

And in the future, when you are ready to remove the cam assembly, to prevent this from happening again, just cover the timing chain hole with a clean shop cloth. Then remove the cam assembly and if a shim falls out, it will fall on the rag versus down the hole.

Happy fishing. 😢

I would have hoped he drained the oil first, before he started disassembling the motor... 😢

would it hurt anything? I mean of course change it before riding again after a rebuild but some oil in the cranksase isnt gonna kill anything while ur workin on the top end

I took off the side case and there it was. Peice of cake. It should make reinstalling the head easier with the case off also.cam chain should be real easy this way.

Oh yeah i tried the telescoping magnet first with no luck and yes i did drain the oil first 😢 :cry: