Sign in to follow this  

valve shim problems

i have a rmz 250 04 model.one intake valve is at almost o clearance.do the bikes all have a standard size shim from factory.if so what size is it in mm.also does any of the aftermarket company's have a totally tricked out head complete with the fix for the valve problem .thanks masterlink

You have to look at the stamp on the shim to see the size. There is no "standard" out of the factory shim. So far I only see wmr doing a head swap. I think it is 345 for a head with valve guides, bronze seats, and the intake oil groove I believe.

What you have to do is take your seat and tank of your bike then the valve and cam cover next you you find top dead centre be carefull make sure your not 180 out next lossen the cam chain take the cams out, use a telescopic magnet and pull the buckets on top of the valve springs out of there cups.

Be carefull as the shim sticks to the underside of the bucket and you dont want to drop it into the engine ,There is a number writen on the shim which is the thickness of the shim next you have to calculate what size shim you go to give you the correct clearance remembering the shim to replace is thinner cause the valve is cupping into the head.

In other words if you have zero clearance on the one intake you will need a shim roughley .008 to .009 thinner o get your clearence back

Also i know the owners manual says .006 for the intakes set all your valves the same as the exhaust unless you race you wont notice the difference in power dont believe me try it here is a plus you get more ride time between shimming

So take your time remember where the buckets came out put them back in on the same valve dont swap them around and if you have a owners manual it has a good detailed diagram for when you put the cams back in and set the timming

Good luck

thank you for the feed back. so do ya'll think i need to go ahead and send my head off to get new valves. and is stainless the way to go.i bought two 04 rmz 250's and the one i am riding is the test bike. the other still has the dealorship fuel in it.i want to really trick the second one out. i have placed on every woods race on the rmz. it is totally my type bike.so with your feed back i can do it right. thanks masterlink