Sign in to follow this  

Race Tech cartridge emulators

I have had emulators in a 1985 honda 43MM showa fork for about seven years now and although the ride is better, I still have a problem with square edge bumps (ie roots, rocks).I have had some success with putting lighter springs in the emulator, but was wondering if anybody has some tips for better square edge bump handling??

Have you tried loosening the screw to ease up the tension on the spring? I think that is how you adjust it for real quick hits like roots and rocks and square edged bumps and stuff.

Yes, I loosened the screw but I think the spring is too stiff for the rocky technical terrain I ride over, so I tried different lighter springs that I found here and there and had some succcess but the springs I think weren't good enough quality to give a consistent feel to the forks. 😢

Hi. I was in error on my post. I apologize.

I found my instruction sheet from my FEGV 4301 emulators. Under the tuning notes, it says:

"Adjust the Emulator Valve Spring Preload a half turn at a time. More Valve Spring Preload will make the forks stiffer.

Variable - Valve Spring Preload*

Standard - 4 turns

Optional - 0 to 7 turns

Primary Effect - Overall firmness, controlling a mushy feel and the speed the front end dives under braking

Variable - Oil Viscosity

Standard - US-2 (10w)

Optional - US-1 (5w) to 30w

Primary Effect - Use oil viscosity to set rebound, this affects traction and stability

Variable - Valve Spring Rate

Standard - 64 lbs/in

Optional - 26, 40 or 101 lbs/in

Primary Effect - Overall firmness and the ride on square shaped bumps

*Measured from zero preload (no tension) on the Valve Spring. To find zero preload back off on the adjuster bolt until the spring is loose then tighten it until the spring just touches. More Preload gives more compression damping and a firmer ride. 2 turns of Valve Spring Preload for lighter riders or a plusher ride

Use oil viscosity to set the amount of of rebound damping, then adjust the compression with the Emulator settings. The Emulator does not effect rebound, however oil viscosity does. The primary compression adjustment is the amount of Emulator Valve Spring Preload. Increasing Valve Spring Preload makes the fork stiffer. The effect of all the variales will overlap, this gives extreme tuning flexibility."

I hope that helps.

Do you think a lighter rate set of fork springs are needed? Have you tried varying amounts of preload on the fork springs? I have read that if the fork springs have a lot of preload that it can take a greater force to get them to start compressing compared to sprigs with less preload.

I am in the middle of installing my emulators right now. I am planning on finishing it up this week. I plan to call Race Tech and ask if the 26 lbs/in, 40 lbs/in and 101 lbs/in springs will fit my emulators and if they are available for sale separately.

Again, I hope this helps.

Thanks for all the useful info, I had actually lost track of my instructions over the years. It seems that from experimenting with springs and preload that the only thing that was affected was the ride height and overall firmness through the whole fork travel, ie either jitterbugging or squishy when deflecting off of square edge bumps--I think the emulator spring has the most to do with the first part of the fork travel in that situation :thinking:Please let me know if you can get seperate springs for the emulators, I might try a lighter spring if I can get one.

Hi. I called today and asked about the availability of the 26 lbs/in, 40 lbs/in and 101 lbs/in springs. The gentleman said they were available for separate sell, and he thought they were around $4 per pair.

Let me ask you a "just making sure" question. Did you drill out the compression holes like the instructions say?

I know that there is a little hole on my emulator that allows oil to pass through during compression. I read on some site I found through Google about upgrading a street bike. This hole was referred to as the low speed compression hole. If it was overcome by quantity, THEN the plate would open up and allow further oil flow. A square edged bump needs to flow the oil quickly, as I understand it. IF you have the compression holes drilled out per the instruction, proper fork spring rates and amount of fork spring preload, then it seems to me that the plate would need to open sooner. This would mean you need a softer spring.

Again, I hope this helps and thank you very much for sharing your information. These emulators seem to have been big before internet discussion boards were big, so little information is to be found.