Sign in to follow this  

Cam Chain! ARRGGHHH!

The cam chain came off of the sprocket down below. Any tips to getting this thing back on? I had the same thing happen before and I finally got it back on - but tonight for some reason it is not wanting to slip back into place. I am about to remove the cylinder head and try from that angle.

Dang, this is frustrating!

Sure would be nice if honda would put a guide around the bottom sprocket.

Try leaning the bike to the right or left 20 or 30 degrees while trying to get it to go back on. Thats worked for me in the past. Might be tough to do if it just on a stand and you don't have any tie down anchorages close by.

Try leaning the bike to the right or left 20 or 30 degrees while trying to get it to go back on. Thats worked for me in the past. Might be tough to do if it just on a stand and you don't have any tie down anchorages close by.

Good idea, I will try!

Jaypak,

What is up with your bike! 😢 Are you gonna be ready to ride this Saturday? 😢 Maybe you should "throw down" on an '05. 😢 I'll be glad to break it in for you. 😢

Very good advice. I am putting my head back on tonight and i am now hoping my chain didn't fall off. I for some reason thought there was a guide under there. 😢

Just grab it with both hands, drop the chain down low, pull the top half towards you, and pull up, then straighten out the chain as you pull up. It's kind of like "fishing" it back on, but it WILL catch after awhile.

Just grab it with both hands, drop the chain down low, pull the top half towards you, and pull up, then straighten out the chain as you pull up. It's kind of like "fishing" it back on, but it WILL catch after awhile.

Ok, dumb question - is the "lower gearing" towards the shifter side or towards the break side? That make sense? I have been standing on the shifter side of the bike and doing what you said to do but pushing it away from me, towards the brake side of the bike.

Having bakcwards would make a slight difference. Doh! 😢

There IS a metal plate/bracket that holds the cam chain on the lower sprocket. It is part # 11206-MEB-670. I replaced it way back on my '02 when I had trouble with my cam chain tensioner (all my fault!!!). I found that when my cam chain came loose (problem with tensioner), the cam chain skipped a tooth on the cam sprocket allowing the valves to play patty cake with Mr. piston (loud expensive noises) and, due to the lack of tension of the cam chain, bunched up a little down around the crank sprocket and BENT this bracket. It was bent enough that it didn't hold the cam chain on the lower crank sprocket. What I'm getting at is IF your chain cannot be simply pulled up and around the sprocket, I would suspect damage to this bracket and inspect it. To get to it, you must pull your flywheel and then it will be starring right at you. Just FYI 😢

There IS a metal plate/bracket that holds the cam chain on the lower sprocket. It is part # 11206-MEB-670. I replaced it way back on my '02 when I had trouble with my cam chain tensioner (all my fault!!!). I found that when my cam chain came loose (problem with tensioner), the cam chain skipped a tooth on the cam sprocket allowing the valves to play patty cake with Mr. piston (loud expensive noises) and, due to the lack of tension of the cam chain, bunched up a little down around the crank sprocket and BENT this bracket. It was bent enough that it didn't hold the cam chain on the lower crank sprocket. What I'm getting at is IF your chain cannot be simply pulled up and around the sprocket, I would suspect damage to this bracket and inspect it. To get to it, you must pull your flywheel and then it will be starring right at you. Just FYI 😢

Mine did the EXACT same thing...i meand IDENTICAL 😢

all it did was bend intake valves however i went ahead and replaced EVERYTHING.

-Piston

-Rings

-Intake Valves

-Exhaust Valves

-Springs

-Guides

-Seals

-Cam chain

-Tesnioner

-slider

-guide

-and all the misculanius things in between IE gaskets ect.

Big Thanks to all my sponsers for gettin me through that mess with enough money for gas to break in the motor.

And i did ALL the dissasembly and assembly myself...except the machinist stuff on the valves ya know....not bad for a 17 year old goon 😢

This worked like a charm. Thank again!

The only thing I am concerned about is chain guide you guys have mentioned. But, now that I think about it - I don't think thge chain ever actually cam ALL the way off. It was just sorta half on, if that makes sense. I even tried pulling the chain towards the clutch side of the engine and it would never completely come off the crank sprocket - just sorta slip half way off. So perhaps that guide is bent or something - or maybe that is what it is supposed to do. Who knows? I've got my new valves in, the chain is on and I plan on getting an 05 in a couple months. I just need 'er to get my by until then!