Sign in to follow this  

APB on new Muzzy exhaust...

Showing my inexperience here, but I want to make sure all's well. Should the midpipe fit snuggly into the canister? Mine doesn't and I'm a bit alarmed. From going over all the parts and reading all the installation instructions, it doesn't mention any looseness/tightness, just that the two are held together only by the springs supplied. Is this right?

I sure hope so, but I guess I just assumed these two pieces would fit tight so there'd be no blowby. I don't remember anything fitting loosely.

Please fill me in, and also mention anything I'll need, that doesn't come with the kit, for the install.

Thanks in advance to all,

Tom 😢

It fits but not really tight, it doesn't need to. Nothing else is needed that I can think of. Make sure your exhaust gasket is in good shape, look at it in the head, don't try to take it out unless you are going to replace it.

PHEW!!! That's good to hear. I was a bit worried. I didn't try the mid-pipe connection to the headpipe, should that one be tight? I just wonder what to expect.

Springs, the directions mention the recommendation of having a spring pulling tool, is there some common tool that works just as good? 😢

Regarding the gasket, with 4300 miles on the bike, should I just go ahead and get a new one for good measure? 😢

Thanks 10guy

is there some common tool that works just as good? 😢

I loop a length of coat hanger wire around the spring and wrap the other around a small piece of wood. Cheap, I know, but not a tool I really use much.

Mike -

Springs, the directions mention the recommendation of having a spring pulling tool, is there some common tool that works just as good? 😢

Regarding the gasket, with 4300 miles on the bike, should I just go ahead and get a new one for good measure? 😢

Thanks 10guy

The spring tool makes a 1 second job,, something else can be made to work... but IMHO,, it's not worth the effort vs the $9.00 for a tool,, or build one if ya want.

The gasket is probable ok,, as long as you do not damage it while installing the new head pipe.

is the gasket brittle, or somewhat plyable?

and how about the other ??? the mid-pipe to headpipe connection?

and how about the other ??? the mid-pipe to headpipe connection?

There is no gasket for the mid to header connenction. Just a slip fit,, and the springs to hold it togeather. After some heat/cool cycles,, that will be a tight fit.. needing some work to get loose.

Miken, careful with that coat hanger. It is not very strong compared to the springs.

Miken, careful with that coat hanger. It is not very strong compared to the springs.

I suggest a pair of gloves and a mouth guard, if using a spring tool made from a coat hanger 😢 And a helmet is not a bad idea either. Bonus points if ya set yp a video cam prior to attempting to install the springs with a coat hanger.

NOTE: Might a coat hanger be made to function as a spring install tool.. well sure.... but that don’t make it the smartest idea either 😢

maybe a crochet needle? 😢

I'll ask my mother-in-law...bet she's got one I can modify! 😢

I personally have a funky pair of pliers that have grooves made for holding springs. I'll have to rig up a hook some day and try it to see which works better, I can see advantages to both.

Might I suggest a pair of needle nose vise grips? Lock it to the spring...make the connection...and then unlock. No slippage to get excited about.

Might I suggest a pair of needle nose vise grips? Lock it to the spring...make the connection...and then unlock. No slippage to get excited about.

Yes but with that method,, you most likely do at least some damage to the spring. The little indents made in that spring from clamping them in a set of pliers,, will have stress risers, and or fractures/// causing the spring to eventually to fail at that point. In most cases ,,,who cares,, as you will go easy on the pliers,, and not do enough to really hurt the spring to an extent it will fail..

SO just go easy with clamping down on the spring.

Although,, not sure what the perceived hard felt problem is with using the right tool for the job? It's dirt cheap... makes the job so simple compared to clamping the spring with a set of vice grips,, and the correct tool will cause no damage to the spring..

Guys... it's $10 or so get over it,,, beside chicks dig tools

😢