Sign in to follow this  

Is there a trick to getting my plug out? 01-250F

What should I get to take out my spark plug with out pratically dismantling the engine? I must have the wrong tools since I need to take off the top of my case (is that what i am taking off?) to be able to get deep enough to get to the plug. The fram is in the way... 2001 YZ250F

Thanks

Its easy, you do not have to remove anyhting. Here's what I do. Pull off the cap that goes to the plug. Pull it out. Thenlast inch or so is just rubber so you can bend it out of the way. Then put just a spark plug wrench down the hole. Then put a universal joint down. The univ. joint comes just above the top of the cover. Put a ratchet on it and keep spining. The threads are really loks. Take off the ratchet, then lift up the univ. joint with two fingers. When it is high enough to expose the spark plug socket, pop the univ. joint off with one hand. Then pull the plug out with the socket.

Would be mush easier with the wrench supplied by yamaha, or even with the gas tank off.

thanks for the scoop. I will do that.

I do take off my seat and tank which is fast and easy enough pluss i clean out the hard to get to gunk that gathers in the tight spots so will likely keep that up.

THanks again! I love this web forum. I have learned a ton!

Remove seat and tank. Then use a socket with the universal with a 12 inch extension and a ratchet, undo the plug completely. Use the spark plug boot and press it down in the recess over the plug and simple pull it out.

Jeff

the 98-02 YZF bikes need to have the tank and seat removed to get access to the plug. From there, you are set. The 03s you dont have to do this, but you do need the special Yamaha tool:

5BE-2814F-00-00

The tool helps on the earlier YZF bikes also. Should run about 12 bucks and requires a 14mm box wrench to use with it.

Buy a spark plug wrench with an 8" inch extension that has a universal joint built in. If your having problems getting a s. plug out hope you have lots of money to pay a mechanic to do other more complicated repairs. ie..changing a tire.

I have a 01 and I dint have to remove the tank...

Ditto here, I use the 5BE-2814F-00-00 part that came with my 2001 to remove it. 😢