Throttle hand position...

Well, I'm running into a new problem... on track AND trail, but I figured I'd post here first! I'm FINALLY starting to go over half throttle on the track, but I've gotten so used to having my hand in a certain position, so that if I lose a little control and get a death grip I'm NOT accelerating, that I'm having problems adjusting to a new grip... when I'm trying to go up a hill on a track like Cahuilla creek, in third, I end up being 'pushed' backwards over the bike and lose acceleration because I can't keep my wrist cocked down and on the throttle... when I'm out in the desert, close to WFO in fifth (usually trying to keep up with a 600 or something silly! ?) my wrist is getting tired quickly from being cocked too far down! Any thoughts, beyond biting the bullet and getting used to a 'neutral' hand position that ends up holding the throttle half open? ?

Everything I've seen and heard (and I've got most of the instructional videos out there) says to start by overgripping the throttle so your neutral hand position will fall somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 throttle, depending on where you're riding. In a race you want to overgrip more cause you're going to be WFO most of the time. You'll just have to bite the bullet and get used to it. If you find on the trail that at times it's too much acceleration you can either slip the clutch or adjust your grip. When I ride with my son my neutral hand position has the throttle barely cracked, because my bike is so much faster than his. When I ride without him it's at about 1/3 throttle most of time, cause I'm too old to be going WFO all the time. When I ride his bike it's pretty much WFO and I slip the clutch as needed, but then he rides a 85 cc 2 stroke.

In addition to Jack's tip about overgripping, another helpful trick is to learn to turn the throttle with a motion like you are turning a doorknob. You don't open the throttle by dropping your right arm and twisting down with your wrist. You open the throttle with you right elbow still high and out, and turning your left wrist in the axis of the handgrip, like you were twisting a doorknob.

BTW, you shouldn't be having to hold onto the bars with your hands against the acceleration force of the bike as you pin the throttle. You should be balanced forward on the pegs (or outside peg in turns) well enough that your hands are just working the controls, not holding you on the bike.

You still need to adjust your overgrip in different parts of the track (or trail), but you get a lot more range of motion without having to drop your elbow if you use this trick. ?

In addition to Jack's tip about overgripping, another helpful trick is to learn to turn the throttle with a motion like you are turning a doorknob. You don't open the throttle by dropping your right arm and twisting down with your wrist. You open the throttle with you right elbow still high and out, and turning your left wrist in the axis of the handgrip, like you were twisting a doorknob.

Ah-ha! I had read this before but didn't 'get it', now I do, in the context of where your elbow is supposed to be... thanks! ?

Yeah, I'm working on the weight shifting part with acceleration, too... I had it down pretty good... UNTIL I started picking up more speed! ? Amazing thing about this sport, constant adjustments have to be made, everytime you get better in one area, you realize another is lacking! ? :cry:

Everything I've seen and heard (and I've got most of the instructional videos out there) says to start by overgripping the throttle so your neutral hand position will fall somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 throttle, depending on where you're riding. In a race you want to overgrip more cause you're going to be WFO most of the time. You'll just have to bite the bullet and get used to it. If you find on the trail that at times it's too much acceleration you can either slip the clutch or adjust your grip.

Ah, yes, I think I 'forget' the clutch... too easy to be lazy on my bike! ? Although the situation I'm thinking of involves a long up hill and I've been holding on tight to the bars... TOO tight, because I I must be losing my balance, and losing the abilitites to use the controls... ?

?

another helpful trick is to learn to turn the throttle with a motion like you are turning a doorknob......

BTW, you shouldn't be having to hold onto the bars with your hands against the acceleration force of the bike as you pin the throttle. You should be balanced forward on the pegs (or outside peg in turns) well enough that your hands are just working the controls

Yeah, I forgot about that first part. Keep a little space between the web of your thumb/first finger and the inside edge of your grip and that twisting motion will be easier to do without dropping your elbow.

Use your legs to grip the bike and your abs to pull your upper body forward instead of holding on so tight with your hands. On long uphills like you describe it'll give your abs a good workout! Relax your hands and arms and you'll not only have better control but will last longer on the bike.