Sign in to follow this  

05R Cam in 04X

Was wondering if anybody has tryed the 05R cam in the 04X. I would like to do this if it would work. Hawaii.

I would put an 04R cam in just becasue for 05 the cam is different and goes along with different ingition and engine porting for 05.

H,

I recently did a back to back test of both cams ('4 X vs.'05 R) it is a night and day difference. I personally like the bottom/mid of the X cam, but the mid/top power of the R is tempting. I just don't ride like that, I ride mostly technical, twisty stuff, and the X cam accelerates better off the bottom. If you like to ride at higher revs to get the best out of the engine, The R cam is impressive.

No, I was evaluating the difference in the cams, not the heads. It's relative...

Adjustments are what they are, personal preference. When manufacturers set something up, it's because they have something in mind, whether it's an average or not, whether it suits you and your style, conditions, etc. Everybody makes adjustments, jetting, ignitions, port work, exhausts. Everything has an effect, so it depends on what you are looking for, and if you understand how to get there. If the manufacturer specs suit you, don't change anything. If they don't suit you, make changes. Since not everybody gets it, trial and error seem to rule.......In my case, I made an educated guess, tried a few things, and I'm happy with my choices and results.

I haven't tried the '04 R cam, but the numbers would suggest it may have a bit more on top, but less bottom.

the 04 r cam makes more power from 6500 rpm up over the 05 r cam the o5 has less ex duration if you want mid range and top end call web cam and have them rgrind the intake lobes of your 04 cam the have a profile with a little more lift a it shorter duration @ .050 and a bunch more duration @ .200" lift its a short duration fast ramp lobe it maintains good cylinder pressure but gets the valve open faster later on letting in more air .R&D is suposed to be releasing new springs tomorow .note i dont work for ether of these companys i just sell there products and since i still dont have a spring for the 250 honda this looks like a good solution .

I have an idea...instead of all the guess and check...this or that stuff..Just buy either the Stage 1 or 2 Hot Cam. Just an Idea. 😢

What is the difference between to the two hot cams. Do they have cams available or do they regrind. Would the hot cams quality be as good or better than stock.

No, they do not grind them...you actually buy the cam itself..Stage One give you a bottom to mid power gain, while the Stage 2 gives you more of a top end(i.e. supermoto, desert). The price for both cams is $159.95 for the 450..i would assume its the same price for the 250 also.

Anyone with an '04 250X CA bike switched from the CA to 49 state cams? If so, any noticeable differences?

I dont believe there is a difference in cams between CA and other states. The onlt difference in cams is the R vs the X.

Your right. I just check on service Hondas website and they list 2 differetn cams for the 04 X, a CA cam and a 49 state cam. I wonder what kind of HP difference there is. Oh well now I have yet another excuse to go buy a hot cams stage 1 grind 😢.

Wouldn't it be easier just buy the bike you need? Why buy and X and put an R cam in? If you want the power of an R, just buy an R. There is a reason Honda build both and X and and R.

Sometimes its not that easy. Some people race hare scrambles so they want the wide ratio box, kick stand, e-start, 18" rear tire and most importantly if you live in CA a green sticker!!!!!

Your right. I just check on service Hondas website and they list 2 differetn cams for the 04 X, a CA cam and a 49 state cam. I wonder what kind of HP difference there is. Oh well now I have yet another excuse to go buy a hot cams stage 1 grind 😢.

Right, the difference I noted was in the cam timing. For those that posted about buying the right bike, I did. I'm just curious what the performance differences would be between the '04 X 49 state and CA model. I have no intentions of putting R model engine parts (cams, exhaust) on my X. Low end grunt is a good thing.