Battery Tender

The Battery Tender Jr charge rate actually meets the recommended battery charge specs (0.75A @ 12V) a little better. Sealed lead acid batteries don't like high charge rates. I've been using the Jr for almost a year now on the 450 and it's worked very well. You can get one here for $19.95 -> AZ Motorsports.

Either charger will work but the Junior is more than adequate, cheaper and probably a little gentler on the battery. BTW - It also comes with the detachable harness.

Thanks guys,

can i set up the tender junior so i can just plug charger leads to the battery via seperate leads,so i don't have to remove my seat maybe through the airbox.

When I first put the harness on my 450 I just tucked the connector behind the airbox cover and that worked well. Since then I extended the wires and located it behind the number plate (I don't have a headlight on the bike). Easy access and when it's not connected to the charger I use it as a 12 volt power source for things like my GPS. The mating connector is available at any auto parts store.

I picked up several trickle chargers from Dennis Kirk, item number 28982 and it comes with one pigtail connector. I bought lots more pigtails (29983) and I have a pigtail on everything I have with a battery, ie quad, WR450F, KLR650, both CT90's, riding lawn mower and I bought an extra pigtail and installed plain old battery charger ends so I can charge a battery on the bench too. I used this one (from Parts Unlimited) because it has a switch to do 6V or 12V, both trail 90's are 6 volt, so this was perfect. Its no bigger than a cell phone charger, and the pigtails stay on the bikes, you just plug it in and walk! Cost was $11.95, but it may be about $13 now.