Sign in to follow this  

Checking timing on the LEFT side?

I read in a post below about how checking the timing fromt eh LEFT side of the bike rather than the punch hole on the right may be more accurate.

Out of curiosity, can someone explain this to me. I would like to use that way, the next top end I do.

It's true, trying to line up the marks at the larger sight hole on the right side of the engine is alot tougher than through the small sight hole on the magneto cover. On the right side the mark on the gear and on the case are much farther apart, and you have to view them at the perfect angle to be accurate. On the mag side the marks are much closer together and easier to accuratley line up. This is not a procedure you want to screw up on! Take out both plugs and you'll see the difference. Good Luck!

Hello,the marks on the left side are for ignition timing check only.If the left case is off there is a mark that lines up with a triangular pointer on the center case,although I have no proof I believe that this mark is used at the factory when assembleing the engine.

The first mark you see on the flywheel as you turn the engine over on the left side through the sight hole is the "F" mark or timing mark, the second mark is "TDC" and can be used to time the cam.

You know I thought this was wrong as Honda has always marked the flywheel mark T and F in the past,so I went out in the garage and removed both covers and sure enough when the punch mark is lined up on the right side the mark as described by Markmxr is lined up.cheers