Sign in to follow this  

Is a DR200 too small for me?

Hey,

There's a DR200 for sale in the paper this week and I'm strongly considering buying it. I'm looking for a bike I can ride around town and occasionally take out of town onto the trails. I'm about 6ft high, 230lbs. I'm worried a bike with such a small engine will simply not be enough to haul me around with enough power. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks,

Isaac

Isaac,

I recently bought a DR 200 SE for my 15 year old daughter. I would think it's a little small for you, I'm 6 ft, 200 lbs, and it struggles to get over about 45-50 mph with me on it. She weighs a hair over 100 lbs, and has no problem whatsoever getting and keeping it closer to 60 mph when needed. If all your doing is in town, 30-45 mph, and can get it cheap, why not. But if you plan on EVER doing anything else with it...look for a DR-350, DR-250, or like I did, SPLURGE, DR-650!!!!!

Hope this helps

Well, the guy wants $1800 (CDN) for it (1990 model), and he says he's pretty firm on the price. I might be able to get him down to $1500 if I'm lucky. The problem is I can hardly even aford $1500 and that's the cheapest bike I've seen in the paper for a while, so I'd really like to buy it - but I'd hate to buy it and be disappointed with it. I guess I'll go see it and ride it to get a feel for how it'll perform.

Maybe I should lose some weight 😢

Isaac

You WILL be dissappointed with the dr200. Watch ebay and the cycle trader and be ready to travel a little for the right bike. Even an older honda xl or something could work. I'm 5'7" 145 and ride a dr350. You won't get along with a dr200

DON'T GET THE 200!!!

You will enjoy it the first day only then you'll want a bigger bike. If money is a limiting factor(when is it not?) don't be tempted to buy the first thing you see and keep an eye out for a low mile DR350!

There plenty of low mile 350's for $1500.00 to be found locally and if all else fails check E-bay (I know you'll find a good one there). A 350 is big enough for you,has plenty of power for the street and is great for the trail!

Mike. 😢

Actually....depends on the price. I picked one up awhile back for like $400 and rode the snot out of it. It's a good trails bike and something to tool around on. However, if you want to race it or the like, you'll want to go bigger.

If they want allot for the bike....save your money and get a 350.