on banning snowmobiles from Yellowstone; "When I am elected your next

President I will LIMIT and ELIMINATE the use of off-highway vehicles

on public lands to stop the damage that they cause."

I just foud this at the AMA District 37 pages thought you guys would

want to know.

I just foud this at the AMA District 37 pages thought you guys would

want to know.

Could you provide a link please. 😢

The same question was asked, Here was there answer Got it off Race-dezert.com... I will ask for the source.

If you go to AMA District 37 form then look under Campfire form thats where I found it.

Dang Beat me to it

NEWS RELEASES

Campaign 2004: John Kerry's Vision on Snowmobiling

Posted: 9/4/2004

To help educate the snowmobiling community, please review John Kerry's opinion on snowmobiling. To read his complete vision, please visit his web site at http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/vision.pdf and review page 8 specifically.

Below is one piece of his vision for the National Parks:

"Honor the Solitude and Beauty of Wilderness Areas and Our National Parks by Keeping Snowmobiles and Jet Skis Out of Yellowstone and Other Sensitive Areas, and by Honestly Addressing Visitor and Wildlife Needs in Our National Parks. John Kerry will reinstate the Clinton administration’s phase-out of noisy and polluting snowmobiles, which have been overrunning some of our most precious national lands, including Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. While snowmobiles, jet skis and all terrain vehicles have their place, they do not mix with sensitive wildlife resources and our nation’s most treasured wild places."

THE KERRY-EDWARDS VISION FOR A CLEANER ENVIRONMENT A STRONGER ECONOMY & HEALTHIER COMMUNITIES

I see the following from that file:

• Honor the Solitude and Beauty of Wilderness Areas and Our National Parks by Keeping Snowmobiles and Jet Skis Out of Yellowstone and Other Sensitive Areas, and by Honestly Addressing Visitor and Wildlife Needs in Our National Parks

John Kerry will reinstate the Clinton administration’s phase-out of noisy and polluting snowmobiles, which have been overrunning some of our most precious national lands,

including Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. While snowmobiles, jet skis and all terrain vehicles have their place, they do not mix with sensitive wildlife resources and our nation’s most treasured wild places.

I don't like some of the wording. However, I don't have a problem with protection of our existing wilderness areas and national parks, to my knowledge there aren't any that we are allowed to ride and I wouldn't want to ride the ones I visit out of respect.

My concern would be him trying to target our specfic areas, and I don't see that here. Maybe someone has concrete evidence to prove otherwise (I'd be interested to see it). So far the evidence I've seen is not enough to sway me against Kerry (in terms of offroad issues). I'd prefer he have a more pro-offroad stance, but it's not the most important thing.

Also, I think it would be tough for him to overturn the recently ruling on the snowmobilie riding in yellowstone.

Thats really funny. You dont give a crap until they come to your house and confiscate YOUR bike?

Maybe people in Wyoming or Montana are pissed cause it is really theyre backyard.

My concern would be him trying to target our specfic areas, and I don't see that here.

Thats really funny. You dont give a crap until they come to your house and confiscate YOUR bike?

Maybe people in Wyoming or Montana are pissed cause it is really theyre backyard.

My concern would be him trying to target our specfic areas, and I don't see that here.

when I said "our", I am not referring just to the areas that I ride (local). Think of "our" as in you, me, and everyone else that rides a dirtbike and the areas we ride.

he hasn't stated anything more than he wants to uphold the ruling in yellowstone. if he was saying he wanted to go after areas ourside of national parks than I would be concerned. the yellowstone issue seems very questionable. here in WA you can't ride snowmobiles in the national parks.

This entirely depends on WHAT is in their backyard to begin with. If it is BLM or Forest Service land than I agree, they should be concerned. If their respective backyards are against National Parks (if the parks restricts off road vehicles) or Wilderness areas, then I disagree. They should not be taking ANY motor vehicles there to begin with.

The push by sierra is to have all public lands designated as wilderness.

It will be your backyard that you cant ride in.

You people dont have a clue about national parks. I NM we have ~5 million acres of national parks. The gila wilderness area is the size of NJ. We arent allowed to ride in the wilderness areas, which i am fine with, but there are millions of acres open to orv. Not all of these areas are really remarkable, and that is why they are not designated wilderness areas.

The whole thing with marking trails here is ridiculous to us there are places 2 hours from my house that nobody rides because there simply isnt time to do it.

The libs in the urban areas are all about protecting wilderness because there doesnt seem to be any, but when you are in a state with 14 people per square mile it seems pretty ridiculous. It should be up to the rangers of the particular park to decide who and how the park is used.

This entirely depends on WHAT is in their backyard to begin with. If it is BLM or Forest Service land than I agree, they should be concerned. If their respective backyards are against National Parks (if the parks restricts off road vehicles) or Wilderness areas, then I disagree. They should not be taking ANY motor vehicles there to begin with.

Well it's official, I'm voting for bush. Kerry seems too gung-ho about wildlife presevation subjects... though I agree to an extent, I think the way things are now are just fine, any worse and it's going to be rediculous.

aaron, are you referring to national forests, or national parks? we have national forests here, and yes we get to ride those on designated trails, but our national parks are completely off limits and I agree with that. For example, we have Mt. Rainier Nationl park, which is thousands of acres of untouched forest. However, surrounding Mt. Rainier national park is wenatchee and gifford pinchot national forest which have orv areas as well as logging, etc., etc.

yellowstone is national park, not forest. I don't think it would be right to have dirtbikes terroing around a national park like yellowstone, and the snowmobiles are questionable.

I'd still like to see info from a credited source (e.g., news site, etc.) that quotes kerry saying more than what is disclosed in the PDF file from his website. Anybody have such info? At this point I've only seen heresay.

Trav

I agree with having designated areas to ride as well. For instance Yosemti, This should be as it is, no trails by bikes and such. What I am against is the encrouchment on lands that are OHV specific now, by the tactics of having now to document these trails or loose them. In calif we are asked to GPS every trail we have or loose it.

That is wrong, this means that one every trail we ride if its know or unknown will be documented and then decided by beurocrats if we can ride on it anymore. I see a very fundamental flaw in this, we document it and the lines are drawn.

there is no way to document all the trails in NM.

Trav

I agree with having designated areas to ride as well. For instance Yosemti, This should be as it is, no trails by bikes and such. What I am against is the encrouchment on lands that are OHV specific now, by the tactics of having now to document these trails or loose them. In calif we are asked to GPS every trail we have or loose it.

That is wrong, this means that one every trail we ride if its know or unknown will be documented and then decided by beurocrats if we can ride on it anymore. I see a very fundamental flaw in this, we document it and the lines are drawn.

Kerry is so desperate just goes to show you what he'll say to get votes.

Trav

I have mixed feelings about the new policy. California has BLM land and National Forest land. The new policy does not apply to BLM land. I think is is fair to have this policy with national forest land, but not BLM land (and similar non-national pulic lands). However, I still agree with your concerns.

I also want to point out that the new policy you dislike is taking place while the bush administration is in office. I haven't heard of anything he is doing to prevent it.

IMO, the decision on what president we pick will not have as dramatic impact as the local and state canidates we pick. And honestly, I believe the biggest impact that can be made to keep our riding areas open is for people to get INVOLVED. Join the BRC (which I know you are a member of john 😢, anyone else commenting on this thread shame on you if you are not a member of the BRC 😢), local riding clubs, etc., etc. Get out and volunteer, go to meetings, write letters, etc., etc.

Aaron

I understand this, same here in Calif

If they are not documented or known then they would be or that area would be restricted.

Here is a Link

web page

In July, Region 5 of the Forest Service signed a Memorandum of Intent with California State Parks and the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission for funding to perform a statewide inventory and designation of roads and trails for wheeled vehicles on National Forest System lands. The inventory and eventual designation process is scheduled for completion by September 2008.

"The BlueRibbon Coalition supports designating roads and trails and eliminating cross country travel on most national Forest lands. However, the agency must start with the acceptance of all of existing or established routes of travel," according to BRC Public Lands Director, Bill Dart.

"The agency learned long ago in their 'National OHV Review' that providing adequate quantities of diverse and quality routes of travel is the best way to control illegal use and route proliferation," added Dart.