Sign in to follow this  

valve chatter

hi again,

sorry to keep posting in this form but i recently took my kxf to the kawi dealer for them to completely tear it apart (motor) and check, re-set and assure me that everything is indeed fine, so...7 hours of labour later and new gasgets they said every thing was good except that my hot start has seized u yet again and this time I would have to pay them to fix it. anyways, the question I have is that when I got it home and started it up, there is alot of valve chatter and was wondering if it is hurting my baby and if i should take it back and have them charge me more to tear it apart.

Thanks as I am getting ready for the arenacross series in about a weeks time... 😢 :cry: 😢

you can check the valves yourself and save money.very easy to do.if it is making noise i would take it back to them.sometimes you cant trust other people cause they are always in a hurry to get things done.that is why i learned to do things myself.to check the vales all you have to do is have the valve cover off andget it to top dead center.very easy process.exhaust valves should be at .007 clearance and the intake should be .004

thanks for the reply, but would incorrect shims make it chatter like that, (just so i can have sumthing to tell the dealer when he says its normal or something). thanks again 😢 :cry: 😢

Not on the valve issue, but for the hot start siezing, do you ever use it? I use it every time I start it hot...keeps it nice and fresh.

They may have taken the head off, then turned it upside down looking at the valve heads, when they did this the bucket sliped down, and the shim fell out of place, mine did the same thing. Also If they did not lube it when they put it all back together, could be a cause...

If nothing else, pay someone to tear it down at your place and learn from them, it will be money well spent & piece of mind if your hitting any big jumps, that it's done right. I couldn't trust a dealership with maintenance like that. It's really easy to check the valve clearance & re-shim.

Hi,

Yes, i use my hot start almost every time but with our canadian winters, i have not rode for about a month and im thinking some moisture got in and siezed it up. It sucks cause now that I have my bike back , i was going to do all the linkages and everything so its fresh for next spring, but now have to try to figure out how to fix that dang hot start...any suggestions? also, I had talked to the mechanic that put my bike back together and he says that it would be a cold day in hell before any mechanic will show me how to preform that (because than I would not spend any money on them) so i dunno, but he said that he did grease the buckets or something like that...but if I do ride it the way it is...am i asking for trouble?

Thanks again 😢 :cry: 😢

First the hot start, in Australia they recalled them back to the dealer to put a cable tie around the rubber boot where the hot start cable enters the carby. I tie wired mine and it stops water running down the cable and into the hot start area (the rubber boot doesn't seal very well). The valves may be noisy because the dealer may have set the inlet vales out at 7 to 8 thou to try and stop them closing up so quick. The book says a max of 6 thou but down here they are setting them at 7 thou without any dramas. As for checking and re shimming them your self, buy a workshop book and give it a go. You will also need a lower range torque wrench (1/4 inch) Buy a good one, the outlay will soon pay for itself (about three valve re shims) It's pretty easy if you follow the instructions. I've already done mine, the wifes and a friends without any dramas except for the two long cam cap bolts. Buy some M6 x 45mm high tensile bolts before you start, the two long bolts in the cam caps can break fairly easily (I know) and replace them. Whilst you have it torn down record the numbers of each of the shims because they are all different and you will know what shims you need to order later on if you clearances start to close up again.

Agreed. After I replaced my intake valves they were set loose and did have more "clatter" than before. I did check clearances and all was OK. I still don't trust the engine though. I have a feeling it will give it up again. Haven't ridden much either as to much snow and I don't have studs on. Winter came a bit early this year (month or so).

Hey Limpy, Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but I was just wondering who you took you bike too? Was it Romar's in Stettler. I have no idea where I would take my bike to get work done as I don't trust dealers but don't feel confident enough changing valves or anything either. I was thinking I would take it to Romar, but not if that is where you took your bike. Sorry to hear about all the bad luck you are having. Might see you at one of the arena cross races though if you get it running.

Theres no way in H*LL I would ever take it to romar, bought the bike from there and have been treated like sh*t ever since. I dont know if you know Jamie Klingenberg, he races out at xtreme raceways quite a bit and a close friend, is a lead mechanic at turple bros. in red deer, but he did a majority or the job when he could and only charges 20 an hour, but with the crap that has been going on...not too sure if its worth paying the 20 instead of the 57 an hour. Im still talking with him to see if he can possibly take it apart again before arenacross...p.s, do I know you, your bike set up sounds familular... 😢 :cry: 😢

Limpy, I doubt you know me but it is possible. I am usually out at Rocky,Westlock,Calgary or Drum. Didn't make it out to Xtreme this year, but was there twice last year. I don't race or nothing, just out with friends. I am going to Calgary this saturday if it doesn't snow 😢