Sign in to follow this  

New owner, first 4 stroke.

Just went and picked up an 05 R. Thsi will be my first Honda MX bike and I hope it's everything it's bragged about being. I never got a chance to ride one so I kind of bought blind although I have ridden a few YZ 250F's but since I made the switch to Honda for my crotch rockets, I decided to stay red on the dirt as well. I have previously owned a KX and YZ 125, still have the YZ, it's too good of a bike to let go of but with my weight, even with all of the mods it's just lacking quite a bit coming out of corners in the sandy track conditions out here in NC.

I know the 4 stroke is a bit maintenance intensive but it will be used on the track only since I still have the YZ to play around with. What would you guys suggest as a pipe to use (simply for the fact I have to have one, no real need to increase performance I am sure, just my little quirk. I have never owned a bike street or dirt with a stock exhaust)and are there any companies that have a decent assortment of jets in one kit?

Lastly, is it worth it to buy a 52 tooth rear, does it make the "Gap" between 2nd and 3rd I have heard of clear up well?

Thanks a lot.

Slodsm,

Thumpers aren't really more maint. intensive then ring dings on a day to day basis. You just have to check the valves once in a while. Doing a top end job is more involved, obviously.

I raced one last weekend, and loved it so much I'm getting one Saturday. I didn't feel any gaps in the gearing. The race was a Hare Scramble with both very tight and very fast sections, and the gearing seemed the best compromise to me. I've read in here some like lower gearing for really tight stuff.

As for pipes, I doubt I'll be putting one on mine. The bike's power is great, and I'm coming off a 450. My advice would be to ride it, judge how the bike fits your riding style, then search TT for brands that match your desires. If I were to get one, it's pick one that doesn't change the poerbrand, just boosts it.

Thanks for the reply man, I got a little time tonight to run it through the wooded area behind my house and it is indeed a very wekk setup bike just as it sits. I probably will leave it alone for now, at least until my buddies sponsors renew him for next year, then I may get him to help me out a bit on prices. For now though, it has to sit until Monday at the earliest before I get a chance to put it on a track and really test it out.