Sign in to follow this  

anyone know what the dealer charges for a new piston and rings?

have any of you guys had your local honda dealer install a new piston and rings? im curious to what they charge for labor. i am still debating if i should try to tackle the job myself or not, or just pay someone to do it.

My local dealer wanted twice the price I could get the parts from Service Honda. I wouldn't let them touch my baby.

thanks for responding, i was actually refering to what the dealer charged for labor to install the piston and rings, not the price of the piston and rings.

I am thinking about doing mine soon also. Is it much harder to do than a two stroke topend? Also what are all the parts I need?

Is it harder? Umm yes because there are many things that can go wrong. Its not too bad tho. just have your manual handy and take you time.

I just did the rings without chnging the piston. The head gasket was about $15 and the rings $30. The job isn't that tough if you follow the manual and the valve adjust sticky post (the 4th one down at the CRF250R/X fist page). Be certain you have a nice clean, low dust area to do the job. It will take you 3-5 hours. Good luck!

i called the dealer today and asked how much they charged to change the piston and rings, $191 for labor.