2000 klx300R for $800

I found a klx300 for $800, its the guys payoff.

The catch: He said the transmission is out. The last time he road it it didn't have 2nd and 3rd gears.

I want a klx300 or a KDX either would be fine.

Is this a common problem, and if it is, what is the problem and how much to fix. No I didn't go look at the bike yet, I'll like to in the next few days. I will be fixing it myself, I do all my own wrenching, I just don't want the parts and purchase price to exceed the value of the bike.

Thanks

Because if the inconsistant shifting, the engagement dogs round off (false neutrals), and can break the gears......I've seen a few. The rub is that if the pieces go between shafts as they break (Most likely) the outward pressure on the shafts will stretch/crack the cases, and bend the shafts. Rule of thumb: If you blow a trans, always replace the cases, or you will break them again because of the additional clearance between shafts. It's a gamble.....

I agree! There is no way to tell what the parts cost is until you get it apart. I had a buddy that had me rebuild a 4 year old Stroker engine. It was so used up (Totally worn out, which led to a broken tranny) that I couldn't, in good conscience, put it back together using ANY of his stuff! As I recall dealer was over $1000 just for the parts. The $800 might be a steal, or might be the down payment on an overpriced, used, and broken KLX..... You might get some of it back by parting it out, I saw a guy lookin' for a frame a couple of weeks ago, wheels are easy to sell, etc.