crf250r vs. yz250f

hi ?, i am getting a new bike soon and it will be between a 05 crf250r and a yz250f. i was leaning over to a yz250f. i rode a 04 crf250r and i like it but i kinda want a little more power. if you could point me in a direction and tell me about the 05 yz250f it would really help me out. thanks

-Taylor

Yep, not speaking as a brand loyalist or to start any wars but Yamaha has the reliability things down. I love mine but I do think the "top heavy" issue is real. All the bikes are close enough in performance that the reliability thing is key. Yamaha is to be commended for this. The valve, skirt, colling, etc. issues of the others are being written off as inevitable in a new engine design, but there are a lot of original YZ250F's running arouind with out any of those problems.

Hey, I LIKE Honda's. I've never owned anything else until I bought this WR a year ago. It's not surprising that a first year design of a high performance 4-stroke would have problems, even a Honda. The disappointing thing is that they have done so little to address a defect that has been so well-documented.

I'm sure they'll eventually get it straightened out. I wonder if the liability of having so many bikes out there is keeping them from addressing design changes. Maybe they're afraid that improving it would be tantamount to admitting to a deficient design, and they don't want to have to send complete head assemblies to everyone who bought the first, and now second, year models.

thanks guys, i am going to get the yz250f. one of my friends and his friends told him that if you want quality then go with honda? hmm donsnt really seem like its the case here since hondas have to change valves a lot. i hope you guys are being straight with me..becuz if i posted this thread in the honda crf250 forum they might say go with honda huh?

The YZF is STILL the most powerful thing in its class by a fairly huge margin (unless you count the KTM 125, which has a half horse more for a 800 rpm part of its powerband). It has an enormously wide usable power range, handles great, and is only a little less reliable than a large boulder.

Now that it has suspension that many say is the equal of Showa's best stuff, the only edge the Honda had is out the window.