Sign in to follow this  

Off Topic... Synthetic Oil Not Reccomended in Cars?

My girl firend has a 2000 Acura Integra v-tec, that i have been running Rotella 5w-40 synthetic in it, mainly for extended oil change inervals. Well... today she took it to the the Acura dealership for the 50K mile service. And i told her not to have the oil changed because i would do it. Plus, i knew they would charge her more for some cheap non-synthetic oil, when i could do the job for cheeper using Rotella.

So, anyway she told the mechanic not to change the oil because of what we had discused, and he told her that it is not a good idea to run synthetic oil in her car. In the end he ended up changing it with some cheap dino oil, and my girlfirend belives the mechanic over me.

Is this mechanic just full of crap, or do i not know what i'm talking about?

I run Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil in my 92' GT Mustang and no problems. 😢 Been doing it for over 6 yrs. too.

Sure it only has 40,000 miles, but I have Never heard of

Synthetic Oil bad for a car. Now if you have a small leak, that Synthetic will leak more because it is not as thick as reg. oil. Either way I'm trading in this car for the New

05' Mustang. I will change it to Synthetic after 4,000 miles too.

I run synthetic oils in all of my toys including my power washer and lawn mower! I have never had one problem, I have seen many tests in person and the synthetic always works much better!just my 2cents. 😢

I run synthetic in my cars, power washer, mower, and generator. I think there is too much evidence out there that show how much better synthetic oil maintains it's lubricating properties at high temps than regular old dino oil. I've never heard a mechanic say that. There are quite a few high performance new cars that come with synthetic oil in them from the factory. Just because the guy changes oil in a car doesn't make him an informed mechanic, go tell your girlfriend that...

The only thing synthetic oil is not good for is mechanics trying to sell 3000 mile oil changes...

The only thing synthetic oil is not good for is mechanics trying to sell 3000 mile oil changes...

....using the in house oil which isn't synthetic.... 😢

Even here at the dealership we offer synthetic oil (Mobil-1) but of course it costs more than the conventional oil.

mobil 1 is the only oil I found at my parts store in 0-20 so I assume thats what they wanted in my truck...

You need to take the car back to that dealer and demand they replace that crap bulk oil in there with the Rotella you had in there in the first place! Watch them do it too! My lawyer would have a field day if they refused, after taking advantage of my wifes ignorance by some pushy, "Know it All" service MONKEY! 😢

Not to let this get off topic but I had my wife take our Explorer to one of those quick lube deals because I just did not have time. She came back and said that when she got the bill the $19.95 oil change was $80. They took the liberty of rotating tires replaced air filter and greased everything. They ended up giving my money back.

Also my 04 F150 and 04 Explorer both use 5w-20 Motorcraft which says on the bottle that it is Synthetic. In that wieght oil, all I have found is synthetic. 😢

If that is what Ford requires then it is good enough for me.

I use Mobil 1 5W30 Blue cap in my Tundra (50,000 mi) and my wifes Accord (70,000 mi). I even run Royal Purple Synthetic ATF in my tranny. Get a new chick. She should believe you unless your a lyin' cheatin' bastid.

I have a 93 toyota corolla that I drive for a work car, I changed over to mobil 1 @30,000miles when I bought the car, I change the oil every 10,000 miles. The car now has 270,000 on it and still runs great.

Ya, i change her's at 5k miles because she does alot of stop and go driving, around town type of stuff. However, in my Tacoma i change at 10k miles, considering i drive a lot of highway.

One thing you guys haven't mentioned is the type of filter to use with synthetics. It is recommeded to use a "depth" filter. There are a few companies that make them and Mobil 1 is one of them. It basically filters down to 10 microns instead of your normal filtration of only 25. The Amsoil Bypass System can you get you down to 1 micron!

80% of engine wear is caused by dirt in the oil. If you do choose to use a regular filter, then you will have to change your engine oil more often then someone who has a "depth" filter.

ya with synthetic what kind of intervals? 5K ? 3K? 10K?? thanks

They say up to 10,000 before you have to change it, but in my 92' GT 5.0 Mustang I do it every 2,000 miles. 😢

If your thinking...WHY......well it's because it gets driven about 2,000 miles in 2 yrs. If not less. I just can't let myself wait for 10 yrs. to change the oil becasue it would then have 10,000 more miles on it.🤣 Hell, I have to buy a battery every 6 months for it.🤣 Just think my 15 yr. old whats it for his first car too.......yea right. 😢 I'm getting him a Tundra...

...2000 or 2001. 😢

EKMotorsports: GREAT point you have there!! 😢

I've seen the Mobil 1 one, but ever thought about it......

......Thanks!! 😢

Ya, i change her's at 5k miles because she does alot of stop and go driving, around town type of stuff. However, in my Tacoma i change at 10k miles, considering i drive a lot of highway.

I agree that going 5k between synthetic oil changes is ok but I would never go over that. I know that manufacturers say that you can go 10k but I have seen a lot of evidence that shows that this is not a good idea. You have to remember your filter also. If they are not made to last that long bad things can happen. I have seen a lot of sludging from 10k intervals and would never let my vehicle go that long. Just my 2cents