Sign in to follow this  

Streeting a DRZ-E?

I've been researching supermotos quite a bit lately, and it seems that a DRZ is the bike for me. The final question is now whether to go with an E, S, or possibly a SM if it works out to be cheaper than modding a used bike.

Streeting an E seems to be the best choice, given the superior engine and suspension. This raises the question of what is required to put an E on the street. This will vary based on local regulations, I assume, but the basic stuff is all the same.

1. DRZ-E's have headlights, but no taillights? I'll need a taillight, I suppose. Does the headlight operate in high and low beams?

2. Turn signals, a horn, and mirrors are required.

3. I'm not sure if trail bikes have keys, generally. Does the DRZ-E have a key?

4. I'll probably need a DRZ-S rad fan. Is it a simple swap?

5. I know the S has passenger accommodations, but how about the E? If not, is it as easy as swapping in some pegs?

6. Does the E have a tachometer or a speedometer? A bicycle speedo is an easy fix if there's no stock unit.

Streeting an E seems to be the best choice, given the superior engine and suspension.

2002 and later, same suspension E or S

Differences between the E and S motor are few,, and mostly parts changed by any performance minded rider anyway on both E & S ( the FCR carb being the exception )

1. DRZ-E's have headlights, but no taillights? I'll need a taillight, I suppose. Does the headlight operate in high and low beams?

E has a smaller headlight, 35watt H3 bulb, not suited to road use

2. Turn signals, a horn, and mirrors are required.

That is most likely, but all up to your state DMV , if you can convert and plate a dirt bike at all in your state.

3. I'm not sure if trail bikes have keys, generally. Does the DRZ-E have a key?

The E has an ignition key

4. I'll probably need a DRZ-S rad fan. Is it a simple swap?

No, not a simple swap,, You would need the whole S setup to use an S fan,, Rads, temp switch, T-stat, wiring, fan.... Much $$$$$ Some have added a cheap box fan with a simple on/off switch for E cooling issues.

5. I know the S has passenger accommodations, but how about the E? If not, is it as easy as swapping in some pegs?

No rear pegs on E.. You would need the S sub frame, the pegs and mounts, plus mod the E exhaust, or swap the exhaust for an S system

6. Does the E have a tachometer or a speedometer? A bicycle speedo is an easy fix if there's no stock unit.

No DRZ's have a tach, and the E does not have a speedo

1. The stock LED tail light is not DOT approved (think that's what they call it in the states). It does not flash a brighter shade of red when brakes are depressed. That can be solved with the tail light mod posted here.. But it still isn't DOT approved. You can have the headlight in high and low beams. Change the bulb into a double filament one and the switches on the handlebar. Make sure your headlight assy can take the wattage of the bulb too.

2. My E has turn signals front and rear. But no horn and only the right mirror. I actually don't ride it on road much. 😢

3. Yes the E has an ignition too. But no handlebar lock like the S. Anyone can push your bike away when its parked there unattended. A disc lock might solve it.

4. 😢

5. Some pix for ya later... on putting on some passenger pegs.

6. Stock trip meter only. Most E owners have Trailtechs or bicycle speedos (Cateye, Sigma, etc) installed.

Hope this helps... that's all the info I could provide.

😢

I ride my DRZe in Southern Spain. I do not have a fan and have no real need for one. A well maintained bike will stay cool enough.

I ride my DRZe in Southern Spain. I do not have a fan and have no real need for one. A well maintained bike will stay cool enough.

Well maintained or not, You sit in traffic (or still on a trail) with a drz, it will get hot and start passing coolant to the catch tank in just a few minutes,, and over heat in 10 or so.

I don't beloeve that alot of that is required in my state. I know a guy who plated his KTM 520 and I think he just added a horn, a trail tech speedo and a tail light. Hand signals work here in place of turn signals.

General information will not help you. You need to find out the specifics of your state.

As easy as it is to plate a dirt bike here...I still think I would do the S. But that is just me.

I just did this with an '01 "E". In TX, you need the following:

1 - Mirror

1 - Tail light that is operated by the rear brake

1 - DOT headlight with Hi/Lo beams and a Hi beam indicator (the stock headlight does not have Hi/Lo nor an indicator)

1 - Horn

If you go with the "E" version, you can get the Baja Designs dual-sport kit from Thumpertalk. It has all of the above except the mirror. You can get that from the Thumpertalk forum as well.

I also added the following and HIGHLY suggest you do the same.

1 - Front brake tail light switch

1 - Trailtech computer (has a speedo as well as a lot of other stuff on it)

If riding alone, I suggest you go with the "E". On the other hand, I don't care about carrying a passenger. If you want to do that, buy an "S" bike. Your "E" has no rear subframe and the mods necessary are going to cost you more than if you start with an "S" and do engine work to get you back to the HP of the "E".

My 2 cents.

I don't recomend trying to carry and adult passenger with you on a drz. If you think this is a "Date" bike...you are barking up the wrong tree. However I take my 6 Year old and barely even know he is on there. I would not dream of giving him a ride with out pegs.

He is just about ready for his own bike. I am trying to wait and bypass the 50...since they are on them for such a short time...it looked like a major waste of money.