Sign in to follow this  

stand or sit wheelies

I am still learning to do wheelies on my yz but i find them easier standing up and insted of sitting down. Every1 tells me to sit down and pull it up in powerband, but i found standing and going right through the gear better. any tips would be great.

Standing is easier for "power on" wheelies, but you run out of wheelie quick because you build up too much speed, or run out of gears/power. Balance wheelies are easier to learn sitting down (so I hear...) but definitely require a toe over the rear brake to save that rear fender! 😢

I like doing sit down wheelies the best, they look cooler, and are much easier to ride a distance on.

It depends on what you want to do. If you are showing off and trying to ride a wheelie for a mile, then sit down. If you are only trying to get the wheel up for a short time, then stand up. you need to stand up to cross logs any way, but if you are like me and cruise two tracks at 50+ mph, it is necessary to use the stand up method to get the front tire to clear water holes, as the bike (my bike any way) doesn't have the power to get the wheel up when it is in 5th gear and low in the power band. It keeps me from soaking my boots/legs. 😢

i can wheelie better sitting down, but my friend can wheelies a mile standing up no problem, he just learned that way when he started, do what ever is easier for you.

Rideing wheelies is cool??. Yes it is, BUT!!, the abality to use that abaility to clear obsticles on the trail or track is much more valuable than looking cool??. I prefer the stand up wheelie??. Quite simply it allows you to work the bike,and use your body wieght to control, where the bike goes,!!. 😢

I mainly do sit down wheelies - i find when i do stand-ups i tend to lock my legs straight, and pull on the handlebars too hard. (as opposed to weight on feet, balancing bike)

But, once i get my next bike (prob XR650R 00ish) i'll be practising like crazy. The old DR250 (spare bike) is quite an effort to wheelie, having a great deal of not much power, either balance or no wheelie. Still fun though!! 😢

Just do what feels comfortable to you, I like to stand my dad seems to like to sit. It all depends on you/the bike/the conditions and so on.