Sign in to follow this  

What is the black plastic box for?

I just finished doing the DynoJet install. Boy oh boy is it fun getting that carb in and out. What is the black plastic box beside the air box for? There seams to be 3 lines into it. I'm assuming it uses vacuum from the intake boot to draw gases from the valve cover area and the crankcase. Why can't these 3 lines just be tee'd together and eliminate the box? What does it do? What is the purpose of a PCV valve on a car? Why do you check to see if it rattles?

Yes it is the crankcase breather box.. Yes,, most of us here believe it should be kept in place. It does an excellent job of allowing the crankcase to breathe, collect the oil vapor and send it back to the motor.

I'm gonna take a stab at this one and say the engineers over at suzuki put it there for a reason. These Japanese motorcycle and car builders seem to be some of the smartest people on the planet so if they put something on your bike it most likely has a purpose. I wanted to remove it too! 😢

I'm gonna take a stab at this one and say the Japanese over at suzuki put it there for a reason. These Japanese motorcycle and car builders seem to be some of the smartest people on the planet so if they put something on your bike it most likely has a purpose. I wanted to remove it too! 😢

😢 :cry: 😢 :cry:🤣 Ummm, well maybe not go that far..... Them same smart Japanese builders installed a kick stand safety switch, clutch interlock switch, four different ACCT's that have failed in one motor or another, a side cover that is hardly useable in the off road world, ....Should I go on 🤣

In this one case,, I agree,, the breather box was put there for a good use.. a need,, a good to have.. But that is not the case with many things the "smart Japanese builders " put on our vehicles

hey...isn't there a breather hose that comes off that black box??? If so, it's still messy, but i can only imagine what it might be like without that collection box... 😢

hey...isn't there a breather hose that comes off that black box??? If so, it's still messy, but i can only imagine what it might be like without that collection box... 😢

Yes there is,, and no it's not,, thanks to the great design of the system

Crap!!! Then is mine full??? cuz the breather hose coming from there is making a nice oily mess on the rear of my antifreeze overflow bottle!!! Is something wrong??? 😢

If you had a Hindinberg 😢(husaberg) then you would know what a great design this black box is. On the berg without any modifications you will fill your carb and air box with oil if you fall over. Some of us fall over quite often. The cure for a carb and airbox full of oil takes about one hour to clean out on the trail. The fix on the berg is to route the breather to the top of the steering head and instal a K&N filter. When you fall over now all you do is loose oil and make a mess but no fouled carb and airbox.

If you are going to take your "black box" off please send it to me . I will try to fit it to my berg.

Humm, you sure that is not chain lube your seeing on the coolant res? I know mine will get splattered if I over lube the chain.

If you are getting lots of oil drain from the breather box.. I'd start look for the reason.

doesn't look or feel like chain wax to me...definately oily...i'll have to give it a sniff to see if it's engine oil...but isn't that about all it could be??? That is where that black boxes breather hose comes out right??? Sorry for not having a pic...i'll rectify that tonight and post for all to see... 😢 Thanks Bronco

if you ride a ton at very high rpm the box may expell just a drop of oil every now and again.mine does on my supermoto,but its relentless rpm riding.

GEEZ...I hoped someone else had that...and it be normal...I get on it a lot!!! Looking at the hose...it looks just like one you'd see on any diesel engine breather hose on a tractor...except there's no visible venting when it's idling...

Should I be concerned or not??? 😢

Burned I just bought a bike off of Rodney Smith that was built by Yoshi .They have taken off the box .My question to you is should I be concern ? They gave me the box with some other parts ,should I put it back on .It has the 450 kit in it and runs perfect.Will it cause problems down the road ?

Have not seen any oil leaking from any of the hoses .:nworthy: Thanks for the help !

check the return line from the box to the cylinder.make sure its not kinked.

other wise,it sounds like the top end is tired.fresh rings minimum in its future.

DAYAM...I hope it's kinked then...I don't have much confidence in my ability to tear into the motor... 😢

Yes...i'm the original...and I was careful on break-in...I didn't hot rod it at all...i don't think i hit the rev-limiter until I broke 500 miles...I was careful not to hurt the thing cuz wanted it to last a long time...