Sign in to follow this  

86 XL250 - any problems?

Hey,

I'm going to look at an 86 XL250 today and I'm wondering if this model year had any significant problems I should be aware of (overheating, etc) before I buy. I remember reading somewhere on TT that 82-83 XL250s were good, but then they went weak until sometime in the late 80's. Is this true?

Thanks for any advice,

Isaac

They tend to run hot.

The 84-85 XR250 and 84-87 XL250 were prone to overheating. 86+ XR250's were fine.

Is this something that can be solved by running a little rich? I read a thread somewhere where someone suggested adding an external oil cooler; is this expensive to do?

If you're going to be riding on the street or just casual play trail riding, running the bike a bit rich is fine.

I added an oil cooler to my bike and it was quite a bit of work.

I bought the bike tonight for $1500 CDN including a helmet - all my gear was stolen out of my car a few weeks ago 😢

I rode it down the street and it had nice power, and was in really nice shape cosmetically. The owner had the registration and the original manual + rear fender toolkit and had put less than 100km on it this year. I figure $1500 was a good price as the last one I was going to buy was $1200 and needed over $400 in parts to make it streetable - this one was MVI'd in July.

I'll post back once I've ridden for a few weeks and give a status update ;D

Thanks for all the help,

Isaac