Sign in to follow this  

Caliper Adapter Brackets, ktm wheels and WR450's

A quick question: How long does it typically take you to install/remove the caliper bracket if you are switching between dirt and SM?

Only read on if interested in putting ktm wheels on WR/YZF's:

The reason i ask this is that i am doing the KTM wheels (although MX, would be similar to SM) on WR450 thing, and i have three options for the front wheel.

1) Machine down a Ktm rotor to fit the WR. It comes with a semi-wavy rotor stock and it might be kind of sketchy. I dont like this option.

2) Use a adapter bracket for the 260mm ktm wheel and no bracket for my stock wheel. Hence the question about how long to switch over.

3) Get an adapter bracket, leave it on all the time and put a 260mm rotor on my wr front wheel.

From a post of mine in the WR forum:

Some people have said that pre-'03 ktm wheels will bolt up with some minor machining of spacers, and it's looking like it will work. The rear spacers just need to be bored out 2mm and one side shaved down. Zip-ty will sell a 240mm disc for the rear ktm hub. On the front, the 260mm disc is a little too big, so i'm either going to get a caliper spacer and put a 260mm disc on my stock wheels, or get a new disc and machine it down to 250mm. However, if you are going to SM it, then the front disc shouldnt be a problem. The front looks like it doesnt need any spacers made, just use the wr spacer on the disc side and the ktm spacer on the other side. This all remains to be proven, but i will write it all up when i finish, should be fairly soon...

Cheers

I have looked into putting my KTM cush drive motard wheels(The ones with 20mm front axle) on my YZF, and the major problem is the rear. The front like you said just requires some different length spacers, I believe the disc side one needs to be like 1.5-2mm longer. ...and I would go with the 260mm adaptor, or get both a KTM and WRF 280mm rotor from the likes of EBC or Titax and sell off what you don't need.

Now, for the rear the Zipty won't work from what I can tell. They gave me an inch measurement when I asked several months ago about it, and I don't believe it was even equal to 240mm. Also the WRF requires a 245mm, not a 240mm. A rotor that is 240mm and I believe will bolt right up to the KTM wheels is the KTM 950's though, so this may work for those with CRF's or Suzuki/Kawasaki's. 😢 Also, the KTM's centerline width between the disc and sprocket is wider by like 8mm than the WRF, so mods to the caliper bracket are necessary for proper disc alignment and chain alignment. It is not just a simple bolt on.

I have been looking for someone to make me up a custom 245mm rotor with the KTM bolt pattern, but no one seems to know of a source. Please let me know if you do. 😢

Actually the new YZF Motomaster rear rotor that I picked up cheap on Ebay only measures out to be 240mm, so I will have to mount it up to see if the pads have good contact. The pads wear to the edge of the stock rotor.

...so stay tuned. I'll also measure the stock rotor and see if it truely measures out at 245mm.

A little bit of pad overhang is not the end of the world as well, as i hardly ever use the rear brake anyway. Cheers for the heads up on the KTM 950 disc, since they are much easier to get ahold of in europe than the Zip-ty disc. I measured that the space between disc and sprocket was about the same for both wheels (WR stocker and KTM MX 19 inch). The cush drive might be adding distance on your one. Which bike is it off?

I haven't even run the motard wheels(KTM hard parts) yet, so they might not have seated. Measuring my 2002 KTM/Berg MX wheel it is only about 3mm wider than the yamaha.

And the stock yamaha rotor is exactly 245mm.

😢

Discussing all this over in the WR forum. The front is stupidly easy. Use the WR spacer on the speedo side and the ktm spacer on the disc side. Ktm spacer needs about 1/2 mm taken off.

Sorting out the rear, as described in the other thread. i think 240mm from the KTM 950 will work, but its 5mm thick as opposed to 4mm for the WR. I have van-sized surface grinder if things get desperate.

So I know this is an old thread, but who cares. What I am doing is the opposite... sorta of...

I have Excel Pro Series Supermoto Wheels setup for 2002 YZ250. They work fine on here, but I want to put them on my 2005 Husaberg, but we will call it a 2005 KTM. The 2005 has a 26mm diameter front axle, luckily, KTM makes a Axel reduction kit to bring it back to 20mm diameter, which is the exact same as the 2002 and on Yamaha. So I purchase that and decided, oh, Ill purchase the KTM axle for Pre-2003 and nut to make the change over easier.

The wheel goes on pretty good but, it would appear that the Right Front Spacer (Excel Pro Series, for Yamaha) needs to have 4mm removed from the out edge. This is so you can actually get the axle nut on the axle, other wise it sticks out on the right side, looking odd and you don't want to be riding around with no axle nut.

These wheels are going on the Supermoto version of the KTM/Husaberg, which came with radial mounted FTE Caliper, very nice, but the stock rotor is not 320mm like most supermoto front disk rotors, it is instead 310mm. So you need to add a 10mm washer to the caliper to space it back in order for it to work also.

As for the rear, I am waiting on a pre-97 2 stroke Yamaha rear rotor or 98 4-stroke Yamaha rotor because that is the same diameter as KTM which is 220mm, instead of the current 240-245mm rotor on Yamaha, otherwise it would fit into the Brembo rear caliper. I hope, and suspect the rear rotor and sprocket line up perfectly with nothing else to do.