Sign in to follow this  

XR75 idleing when hot problem

A small prob with my XR75. When I start it it runs and idles ok, as it gets warm I have to turn the throttle stop in more and more to keep it idling, until it reaches the end of its travel and thats still not enough to keep it running. Ideas anyone?

thanks

It could also be a worn out needle and needle jet as a 75 will have a lot of distance on it now.

the cylinder and rings could just be worn and when it gets hot the ring end gap increases and u loose compression, do a comp check when hot, then put a little bit of oil down the cylinder and do it again, usually as an engine warms up the idle goes up. also what color is ur plug it could simply be you are running to rich so it runs good when cold b/c it is like a choke.

It also could be the ignition system breaking down. By system, I mean any one part of it, the stator, coil, wiring, points, condensor, etc. . I'm going to put a cdi on mine, if I would stop being outbid on Ebay. 😢 I would start with a new, yes "new" carb, then go from there.

the cylinder and rings could just be worn and when it gets hot the ring end gap increases and u loose compression, do a comp check when hot, then put a little bit of oil down the cylinder and do it again, usually as an engine warms up the idle goes up. also what color is ur plug it could simply be you are running to rich so it runs good when cold b/c it is like a choke.

Its just had a rebore, new piston/rings, so that should be fine. If its running too rich, how do I lean it up? Sorry, I'm sure its simple but I'm no expert on old machinery.