Sign in to follow this  

Opinions...cr85 conversion or better suspension for crf150

I am trying to decide what mini thumper I want to own/build... I started out with a few 100's that I beat the piss out of... never hurt the motors... just stressed out the frame and suspension... I loved throwing them around... but not enough power... and a little small... so I bought a crf 150... not as throwable(is that a word) but much more capable of jumping and better power... I am not willing at this time to move up to a bigger bike... like the 250x or a 450... too much power and too big for some of the places I ride... and alot more money...

I ride technical trail's/hillclimbs 65 percent of the time... motocross 20 percent of the time... and flattrack the last 15 percent...

I am 5'10" 165lbs with gear...

For those of you who have been through this and made a decision... could you tell me what made you go one way or the other? If you could change you decision... would you do it again?

My options at this point seem to be:

Add cr80/85 front end to my current crf150... that completes my crf150 suspension mods (already have a Works top dawg rear shock) ... heaviest but roomiest of the options... more room to grow with the motor

Buy a cr80/85, mod the chassis for my current crf150 motor. Add triple trees to help with legroom... revalve suspension... sell off crf150 chassis and 80 motor... alot of labor... smaller, about 30 lbs lighter?

Sell the crf150... buy a cr80/85 and an xr100... sell the 80 motor and the xr chassis then build an xr superheaded 120 motor... Add triple trees to help with legroom... revalve suspension... a little less work than the 150 motored cr chassis... and lightest of them all...

I have access to machine shop and will do all of the labor... so all options seem to be ending up within about 500 dollars of each other...

Sorry if I seem a little scattered... but I cannot make up my mind and it is driving me crazy... Any input would be great... thanks! 😢

Tough question,

If you ride mostly trails, I would keep the 150 motor/compared to a XR120 superhead.

Pretty much every that has had a BBR or DMC conversion has loved it. So a CR85 conversion would be the best choice. But if you want to build it yourself it will take you almost all winter. Unless you willing to put in a lot of all nighter's.

The easiest and cheapest seems like putting CR85 forks and a shock off ebay on your 150. Just valve them and get the correct spring rates. It won't be a coversion, but it will be twice as good as stock. but it will still weigh 218 lbs. and have low ground clearance.

I don't know 😢

If money is a problem, you need to go w/the CR forks and call it good. There's no cheap way to do a full conversion. I ride a CRF-250X, but just finished a BBR-230 conversion a few weeks ago and I am so in love it is scarey. I did some porting, added a WebCam and springs, BBR included a ready to run carb and their pipe, I added a rev box, and used a 10:5, standard bore piston. It is literally a mini 250X. Bad to the bone and wicked fast in the woods. I also added a kickstart so it has both E button and kicker. One of the fastest, woods bikes I have ever ridden. Clint

What parts did you use to ad the kick starter ?? Did you have to go with a complete XR200 trans? I have been informed that the standard 230 trans can not be fitted with any parts to allow a kick start option using the stock transmission. Please fill me in. Thanks

If money is a problem, you need to go w/the CR forks and call it good. There's no cheap way to do a full conversion. I ride a CRF-250X, but just finished a BBR-230 conversion a few weeks ago and I am so in love it is scarey. I did some porting, added a WebCam and springs, BBR included a ready to run carb and their pipe, I added a rev box, and used a 10:5, standard bore piston. It is literally a mini 250X. Bad to the bone and wicked fast in the woods. I also added a kickstart so it has both E button and kicker. One of the fastest, woods bikes I have ever ridden. Clint

Clint,

You have CRF250x and a BBR 230!! 😢

You da man!!!!!!!

If you don't want to move up to a big bike get the CR80 front end. I have basicly your same bike (CR80 front and rear) and love it! However I am moving up to a big 4 stroke and need to sell mine either as a stock bike and sell off the mods. or turn key. My next mini I think I will build a big wheel KTM/XR. It would be smaller than the 150 but larger than the CR/XRs that are our there.

the cr conversions are still available on ebay. i think i may do it over the winter

Hey, As far as I know, and I have been all the way through the 230 engine, there is nothing from the XR-200 that will interchange. To install a kicker on the 230 can only be done by using the 150 tranny and sidecover w/kicker. Therefore, I used 4 bikes to build my BBR-230. As to the above post w/the Ebay link to the front suspension,...$13000 is $400.00 more than I paid for a complete 2000 model CR-80. After I sold the leftovers, I had very little in the parts I needed. I built this BBR-230 as a project and in hopes a height challenged friend would buy it, but I really like it so much, I want to keep it. I also have two '99 CR-125 XR-200 BBR conversions, one for MX and the other for enduro. No valve issues and 240cc w/more than enough power. FYI, I have $8500.00, not counting any of my time and labor in the BBR-230. Considering all the mods, that is cheap compared to buying a bone stocker from BBR for much more,and getting a lot less. It is also about the same bucks as I have in my CRF-250X after I bought all the goodies to make it enduro ready. Not meaning to crow, just sending you guys the lowdown on costs and my opinion on the $$ involved as well as advise on buying a whole CR instead of parts. Mi dos centavos, Clint