Sign in to follow this  

Carpel tunnel

Hey all great site, I am relativley new to the sport, Love it BTW, Kids love it, Wife loves it, (not enough to let me have more than one bike per person for now though) 😢 But my question is this, I have found that every 15-20 min or so of serious riding I have to stop because I cant feel my right hand, thus no throttle control it also becomes painful, I realize i propbably have carpel tunnel, but i was wondering if anyone out there knows of some excersises or gloves or something that would help this without having to get surgery. It just sucks because i have to stop and let all my buddies by after I fought so hard for the lead..... eating dust sucks....

I would say stretch ALOT. Stretch your arms, shoulder muscles, neck and upper back. They all play a role. Be patient, give it a few months, stretch very gently. Exercises can often make it worse, since the muscles get pumped up with blood and put additional pressure on nerves, arteries, joints. If you do exercises, do light ones, concentrating on full range of motion rather than strengthening. This will help lengthen the muscles, thus spreading the bulk of the muscles over the entire length of it, instead of a buldge in the middle of the muscle. Use heat packs every chance you get.

If you haven't been riding dirtbikes for long, it may just be a matter of you holding on too tightly (not relaxed) which is causing arm-pump. While out riding, try to remember to relax your hold on the grips and ride smoothly. Also, drink alot of water so that you're not cramping due to dehydration.

If that's all it is, the good news is that it gets better the more you ride since, the more you ride, the more you get comfortable with the bike, the more relaxed you are when you ride and the less you "death-grip" the bars.

Try this first before jumping straight to the worse case scenario.

Best of luck. 😢

Ya i probably do suffer from a bit of arm pump due to "death Grip" since I started this trail riding on a Husaberg fe600! 😢 probably was a bit much for a beginner But I knew that if I kept it up I would be buying a larger bike in the near future so I just went for it. I feel fairly comfortable on it now.

The reason I suspected it had a lot to do with Carpel Tunnel is because back in my college days when I was typing a lot I would get the same pain and numbness- now, unless I had a death grip on the computer keyboard I suspect it was a mild case of carpel tunnel. It does not affect me at any other time. I have tried to be cognisant of my grip strentgh while i am riding. I will pay more attention and back off a bit when i notice that i am trying to squeeze the bars through my fingers like play-doh! and see if that helps. I will also try stretching my arms and shoulders really well on a regular basis.

thanks for your input. it is appreciated 😢 anyone have any idea about vibration dampening?

<font color="navy"> smiley-newbie.gif:

I agree that it could simply be arm pump and not truly carpal tunnel (though it may be aggravating that condition). Make sure you're fully warmed up before riding. I find it helps to really take it easy the first 10 minutes or so before hitting any serious trails or technical sections that might make me grip up. You might also try larger diameter, softer compound grips...

FE600? Wow, that is a big bike for a beginner. 😢

You probably feel like that thing is trying to jump out of your hands. 😢

One other thing to try which was suggested to me on the Riding Technique forum, try squeezing the tank with your knees when you ride and opening up your grip some. I recently had a choppy section on the track I was riding that was beating me up. I tried it and it helped a lot.

I know what you mean about the typing as I did the white-collar thing for about nine years. I had it tested (nothing like being shocked repeatedly 😢) and I do have a mild case of carpel tunnel.

Between that and some "arthur" in the joints, I'm looking to hold on as lightly as possible. 😢

Okay, I found it on Emedicine.com ( Tinel & Phalen tests link ).

I'm sure my Neurologist did these during the work-up but he didn't give me the names. He also had a CAT scan done of my neck/shoulders to make sure it wasn't a pinched nerve.

Finally, he did the nerve conduction testing and that's the one where you get jolted. 😢 :cry: