Sign in to follow this  

Kickstart will not move at all? CRF 450 03

About a 2 months I notice oil blowing out of the air breather on to the rear swing arm...Drain air breather tube more frequently and the problem seems under control. Today how ever my latest problem seems more serious, while riding today I noticed my bike miss as if I were running out of gas, about 2 mins later it stalled and then again. While trying to get back the bike just quit!! When I went to restart the kick starter will not move at all its stuck at the top position...I see oil in the site glass the and in the crankcase, gearshifter moves freely.

Is it seized? Am I screwed? any help would be appreciated

1. Pull your spark plug out when motors go sometimes you can see damage of some sort to your spark plug.

2. Try turning the motor over with the gearbox like your trying to jump-start it.

3. If that frees nothing up start at the kick-starter side and work into your motor bit buy bit.

I'll share a similar problem (potentially). My brother's '02 came to a stop and the kickstart was screwed up like yours. A steel bracket that positions the kick-start pawl at the top of its stroke broke off and jammed itself around the right side of the engine, damaging several parts, right side case included ($250). PM me with your email address and I'll send some pics if you'd like.

Same thing happened on my last bike. The rod seized and I put in a new crank and rod. Cost about 250 for the crank. You might be able to get a rod and get it pressed also for cheaper. You might want to change the top end while you are in there also? Piston and rings that is...

If you don't want to take the tank off to get to the spark plug, just remove the crankcase hole cap from the right side engine case. Try to turn the gear with a 8mm allen wrench. If that turns, the piston/crank is not seized. You can then remove the right cover, check the mechanism, etc.

I wish you the best of luck man. 😢

If the piston is "stuck", I wonder what did it?

When my CCT failed and the valves touched the piston the kickstarter was stuck until I turned the crank backwards. Had to turn it with the 8mm allen cuz of my autoclutch.