Sign in to follow this  

What piston to get?

My head is at the machine shop getting SS valves installed, I noticed a slight bit of oil on top of the piston when i pulled the head off so im sure it could use a piston kit while i have it apart. it is an 02' an suggetions on brand and type.........?

I put the stock 04 piston in my 02 but wiseco and others make good products as well,the 04 spec piston is 12 to 1 comp ratio while 02 is 11.5 to 1

Stock piston and rings,seem to last the longest on my 02.You can go for the 04 piston ,rings,it will add a little bottom and mid.

Get the Wiseco 12:1 '04 piston and you will appreciate it. Regular gas, too.

I have a 2004 YZ450 that I put a JE hi compression piston in along with cams, porting etc. The stock piston was in my bike for about an hour. I'd sell it to ya if you want to go with an 04 YZ450 piston. Say....$40 for the piston and rings? Just a thought. 😢

J&E 13 1/2 to one is a great piston. Comes with rings, circlips and bearing. Gives noticable low end.

I thought that was a bit strange, didn't think the yz would work.....TT shop has the weisco 04' kit for $140 that doesn't sound too bad.

or if you got some bucks to spend, go all out and get the Wiseco 500 kit. thats what i want if my top end goes out. 😢

Maybe someday they will get the reliability problems sorted out...till then I will stick with the 450.

Yeh im gonna stick with the 450 as not to P/O the old lady too much i already spent a buch on SS valve kit and machine work plus had to buy new left case for my sons xr, the chain went through it

oh yeh bbr makes a chain gaurd for xr80 gotta buy that too so it dont happen again