Pictures of my modified taillight and signals-FIXED LINKS

Scroll down the page for my pics. I finally found a host that allowed linking. They are the updated pictures using no spacer on the signals and my little wedge spacer on the taillight. It got rid of the huge spacer, but allows the light to sit upright.

Jerry

Ya, I'm really not too sure what you changed. ? I think the rear brake light was moved closer in, but not sure. Maybe a few pics zoomed out would help. It's hard to get a perspective when the pics are too close up.

Wolf,

You have to type the links in to get them to work. I know its a pain, but the host site doesn't allow linking.

As for what I changed. The long stalks are gone from the signals and the large spacer for the taillight is gone and replaced with a small wedge spacer to get the light angle right. Notice the wedge is not near as big as the stock adapter that actually went up and then out (elbow shaped)

Jerry

dgarlepp,

Thanks. The taillight was easy. I just took a flat sheet of aluminum (.06" thick) and cut it out and bent it into the new wedge and had a friend tig weld it as it has a bar inside to locate it with the bolts. It uses the same bolt holes as the stock spacer. Just need longer bolts to pass through it and into the stock threaded holes on the taillight.

The signals were a bit tougher...that little spacer I made is machined from 1/2" thick aluminum, but after talking with another member here I think I can eliminate the spacer all together and have a very strong and clean mount. I'll post about that later, if I'm successful.

Jerry

It looks good. Definatly an improvment over stock.

I see you epoxied? the rear signals to remove the spacer...is that the only way to do it ?

Either way, it looks good ?

Also, how did you mod the rear tail light..just drill new holes in the fender thing?

It looks great, an improvement over stock for sure. I considered doing the same, but finally caved and bought a BD led talight and Lockhart Flush Mounts for the rear. Haven't decided what to do with the fronts though.

It's not so much that I thought the stock tailight was too big, it was just that stupid plastic "mudflap" that hung down below the plate. I know I could've cut it, but that clear LED is just too cool.

Actually I didn't epoxy it. The turnsignal's lip slides inside my 1/2" thick spacer and the spacer is screwed to the signal. Then the spacer is bolted thru the rubber grommet and backing plate just like stock. No glue.

The taillight spacer uses the stock holes in the mudflap/fender extention. These holes line up perfect with the holes in the taillight itself. Just had to build the spacer and put a couple of bars in it that I also drilled. This just helps keep the wedge shape from trying to slide up while tightening the two bolts. I wish I would have taken pictures of it apart.....maybe next time I have it apart for something.

Jerry

DFXXX,

I agree. The reason I wanted to keep the stock light is that in my opinion it is much safer than any of the aftermarket units. I feel it can be seen from a broader range of angles, etc. I live in Northern Virginia, where the average person was born with a cell phone in their hand and their head up their butt, so I want to be seen.

That led looks awesome though!

Thanks for the kind words.

Jerry

Thanks guys. It was raining today so I decided to work on it some more. I am happy with the taillight, but didn't like the 1/2" spacers in the signals, so now they are gone. ? After emailing Miken, I wanted mine to look more like his, but I went about it a little different. I have pics, but will upload them later (no time now) anyway, those of you that have taken them aprt will know what I am talking about. I removed the threaded plastic "nub" inside the signal light (the one that was used to attach the spacer to the signal. It is now just a hole, the size of the other hole for the wiring. I then removed the wiring from the original hole and put it through the new hole. This allowed the original hole to be used for a bolt to pass through the signal housing, then a sleeve, the rubber mount and finally the backing plate and nut. An aluminum sleeve was placed over the wiring and out through the rubber mount. This allows the signal not to rotate. From the back side it looks exactly like stock except the aluminum sleeve is there rather than the plastic sleeve of the original spacer.

I will upload photos soon.

Jerry

It required a stupid amount of work, but I eliminated the "stalk" on my stock tail light. It involved flipping the reflector assemply upside down, some trimming, some drilling and a bit of cursing, but I like the finished product. The stock "TV set" tail light is good and bright, and more importantly, it is free. Now it is not quite as obnoxious ?

DRZ_Tail.jpg

Looks good. I almost mounted mine like that, but I wanted the light to sit level so I built the mini wedge. Still a bit big, but much better than the stock piece. These bikes are sweet looking, then they go and put the dorkiest looking lights on them from the factory and they wonder why we modify! ?

See if these pics worked:

Stock turn signal:

207978088szjRPm_ph.jpg

Modified signal: (not wiring position)

207979252fiBUqS_ph.jpg

Underside: Under side pic. Notice the aluminum tube. The exposed end is slightly smaller than the main tube so it cannot work out of the backing plate. The bolt uses a sleeve to keep from over crushing the rubber mount..similar to stock.

208102947jyglSa_ph.jpg

Rear view:

208108930ogAEsD_ph.jpg