Sign in to follow this  

250X Jetting for Minor Mods

I'd like to start with some minor mods on my 250X i.e. remove airbox snorkel and cut/drill the stock diffuser. Which jetting and needle position works best with these changes? Also, must the subframe be removed to allow the carb to be rotated so I can access the jets?

No, but it will be tight and you can not turn the carb that much. I changed my needle and main without removing the subframe or carb. I went with the JD kit and it works great. Red needle on the 4th position, 155 main and 2 out on the fuel screw (3,200' at 50-80 degrees).

Please see my post in the Jetting forum. "250X with JD kit...feedback"

I went from a stock X with only the pink wire mod to a very much improved powerful bike. I have a mid range that is unbelievibly wide. I ride tight trails and harescramble type riding.

You do not have to remove the sub frame to work on the carb. You DO have to unbolt the airbox from the subframe to remove the subframe since the wires will not pass through from all the junctions behind the sideplates. I had a real nasty bog in stock trim. It is gone now with JD's jet kit and an opened up airbox. The stock muffler does not hurt power like most think. This bike likes to have back pressure and does not respond to open/loud exhaust systems. They kill torque. I will admit that I lost a tad bit of off-idle/low rpm torque, but at the expense of a very nice midrange/top end...the cam caused this.

Marshall