desert tires

i have a yz450f and the stock tires are toast. i ride desert and deep sandy trails. the original rubber didn't seem to co-operate much with my ridin style and dumped me several times in deep sandy washes.the front tire would knife in at slower speeds and biff.any recomendations as to tire size and maybe a riding technique that will keep me upright[other than "more throttle", i've heard it b4

thanx ? :cry:

Definitely go with a soft to intermediate style tire....Maxxis and Dunlap (756) worked well for use riding the sandy washes.... watch your tire pressure a little more. If it's non rocky area lower your pressure (12 psi??) I run 15 on the hard packed.

As far as sandy turns........ do all your braking before the turn...... it's usually engine braking and front brake that will sink the front tire.... so brake straight, power outa the turn.... weight the outside peg, outside elbow up!

?

I ride the complete mix often here in AZ. Two months ago running over granite bolders into sand and back over the boulders I went down (@ 5 mph) and broke my ribs with the end of the handle bar... Slow fall that hurt like hell! I run the soft to intermediate MAXXIS on the back and an intermediate Bridgestone on the front. Tire pressure seems to be the magic........

Hope that helps.....

later...

I like the Dunlop 756 as well, its a soft terrain tire, but very versitale. The 755 front is also a good meat. I like the Maxxis maxicoss IT rear, but the front is a bit washy on hardpack. You will love the 756 in the sand, it is about as predictable as it gets. If you are strictly running sand, run it at 10 lbs, if its a mix, go in the middle, 12-13, on hard pack rocky type stuff stay around 15. I also run MSR or Fly ultra duty tubes, they are tough as nail and allow you too run a bit lower pressures than normal tubes. As far as sandy turns go, sound like you are headed in the right direction, just keep on that gas and practice, practice, practice...

Do you have a steering stabilizer? I used to do the same thing in the sand until I bought a Scotts. At first I thought my problem was the front tire, but a tire change didn't help. The stabilizer seems to keep me from overcorrecting and keeps me upright. Plus it works awesome everywhere else.

The Bridgestone M22 and M23 are pretty good desert tires. I've used quite a few different brands and everyone has their favorite. The Bridgestones grip well, are predictable in slides, have excellent rim protection, and last pretty good. For me they are just a bit better than the Dunlops. I think the Dunlops might last just a bit longer, just a bit, but they don't give me a whole lot of confidence when really hanging it out. The Dunlops seem to break traction all at once. The Bridgestones do it slower and are more predictable in my opinion. I think it's the side knobs design but I am no tire expert. Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Tire pressure seems to be the magic........

Hope that helps.....

Another AZ rider here...I have trouble with deep sand as well. I ridden my 2005 WR450 about 5 times now, and have dumped it twice in deep sand (the wash south of Cowtown). Now that I think about it, each time was when I was trying to stop in the sand. We're talking about less than walking speed tipovers here, nothing dramatic, just a dump into the sand. Is it everyone's concensus that I ought to use the rear brake ONLY when trying to stop in deep sand?

Coming from the street bike world, it's very hard to force myself to use the rear brake.

First, get your suspension set up for your weight, riding style, etc. If your front end is diving, your springs may not be stiff enough. The stabilizer is a good idea too if you have the $$$. You've got to keep the front end floating on top of the sand. Any time you're going slow enough that it's not floating, you stand a chance of going down. Only experience and grit will keep it up. As for tires, I favor a Dunlop D756 on the front and a Maxxis Maxcross IT on the rear. The Dunlop wears a little fast in our rocky desert (so cal) but lasts a reasonable time for a front tire. The Maxxis wears like iron. Also I run 9-11 lbs of pressure in the tire. Sometimes a little more if I've got the 756 on cause it can take a little more and still hold the line. Be very careful about your pressure. That's where you may be going wrong.

I've run the Micheliln S-12 and M-12 and the Dunlop 606 and 742. All worked reasonably well in the sand. My fav's were the M-12 and 742. Both are good all around tires.

I find I ride sand much better if I lower my tire pressure to 10lbs or less and increase the compression damping front and rear by at least a few clicks. (Firmer supspension works best for me in the sand.)

I use both brakes in the sand, but mostly the rear. If you are haulin' booty, don't be afraid to use the front brake in straight-line braking. Riding slow in the sand sucks - don't bother. Ride quickly and when you want to stop, stop, don't fart around, hit the brake hard and be done with it. ?