Sign in to follow this  

XR250 duneable?

hey guys,

I just got a new (for me) XR250 it's a 2000, and all it's got is an XR's only end cap, bars and tall seat foam. my friends all gho to the dunes, and I was wondering if my new bike is duneable? it's in the imperial sand dunes, and I would love to go, but I dunno ive only ridden a bike in the dunes once. should I take my bike? 😢

About how much do you weigh? I think it will have enought power. I take my xr400 out in the sand all the time. Just dont turn the bars to much. 😢

im about 160 give or take a little. will I be able to keep up with my friends? they've all got 400 EX's and nice sandrails, and I dont really wanna get left behind.

At 160, an xr250 in sand will be able to pull you around pretty well. But you'll need to keep it pinned much of the time and a paddle tire would be highly recommended. But no question the bike can handle this. All else equal, however, very doubtful you'll be able to hang with bigger bikes under these conditions. Riding skills matter a lot, but in sand, power really helps.

You will keep up with them... in a straight line. Our CRF230, uncorked, could make it up all but the biggest dunes at Oregon (HUGE friggen things, too) with a paddle, and thats because it was having trouble shifting.

My XR, before the 426, would pull wheelies up dunes, if revved nicely.

@ Glamis a paddle is a requirement not a recommendation. The dry, fine sand out there just eats up power.

ride my xr250 at glamis,6 paddle skat trak tire.pro circuit exhaust and rejetted.rides good,keeps up with my friends 400ex. 😢

awesome. that'll be great. what paddle do you recomend? like I said its in imperial and buttercup sand dunes, and my bike is practically stock(at the bottom of this post) and it'll be my second time. I am THE only bike that rides, and I dont wanna keep them waitin'

thanks 😢

A temp guadge would be nice to have riding in the sand so you know youre not over heating the bike. Get a paddle, temp guadge, and do a oil change before you leave to make sure youre using good fresh oil. Make sure you roost one of the quads for me. 😢😢

I would put Synthetic oil on the check list.

I've ridden through a deep sandwash on a XR250. One reason I bought a XR400.

But if the choice is the XR250 or nothing, take the XR250. Great bike.

Hah, nice.

I did the same thing, and now I'm buying a YZ250.

I like using a cheap chain (Rk, they dont stretch too badly) in the sand. Cheaper than your $75 chain going bye bye, and you'll most likely need a longer chain for paddle clearance anyway.

I'd go with a 6 paddle and dont forget to get the bike fatter.

fatter? sorry I'm new to all this duning lingo I'm a trail rider

Thats not duning lingo...fatter=richer.

You'll want to go one main jet size higher from whatever size you would normally run on trails at the same elevation.

ok that I can understand. It came with a jet for the dunes so thas a piece of cake. these newer XR's are soooo much easier to rejet than my 87'(former bike)

😢 Jetting should be the same procedure for an 87 XR250. Except for the removable subframe part.

Ive rejetted a 87 xr250 and it was a butt to do. My xr400 is a lot easier to do. I think its because the 87 carb it in more of a cramped space. I never removed the sub frame though.