Sign in to follow this  

Throttle retracting slowly

Hey guys. Well I just put the bars on the 230 because I took the pro-tapes off and stuck them on my yammie. Anyways, I put grease on the contact area of the throttle tube, stuck the throttle on, and started it up. Purred like a cat. BUT. Opening the throttle and letting it retract on it's own retracs slowly. In any steering posistion. But if I open the throttle with me hand and close it with my hand, it works fine.

The throttle never did this before. Think I went grease happy? 😢

I've had that problem before. You don't actually want to use grease in the throttle tube. I recommend using a small amount of silicone. But you now have to make sure you get ALL the grease out. Clean it nice and good...and throw a little silicone on there. Should be golden! Post some pics 😢

hmmm, even on the Yammie I put grease on the bar and stuck the tube on. Worked fine. 😢

I'll clean it out and try something different. May go with the silicone. 😢

I now use "dry" lubricants like graphite powder for the throttle tube. The return springs on the Yamaha may be a little stronger, and the cables may have a little less drag than your Honda's, so that may be why the grease is working there. I think you would be better off with an alternative lubricant (dry) as the grease will ultimately attract dirt and will start to bind things up after a while.

If you are using the stock plastic throttle tube, you should be fine just running it plastic to bar, no lube. Before I used graphite, I never used anything in that area. You need to be careful if running steel bars because the paint will wear off, and the bars will begin to rust in this area. I've seen others back east do a thorough pre-winter super scrub, and the throttle area of the bars rusts up over the winter and the throttle won't even twist when breaking it out in the spring !!

I use Dri Slide bike moly dry lubricant for the throttle sleeve, throttle and clutch cables, and pivot points around the bike.

The stuff does not attract dust and dirt like grease and oil. It comes with a 4" needle tube to be able to slide it in the cables.

I think it might be rubbing. Mine was doing the same thing. I took the throttle tube off & it had rubbed a groove into my aluminum bars on the upper 1/4 of the circumference of the bar. I too had greased it & will try some dry lube but think somehow it is when I clamped it to the bar something went wrong. Tube & bar were not sharing the same center line so it acts like a cam & rubs on part of the rotation.

I think taking it off & putting it back on may be the ticket.

😢

I wet sanded the grooves & used motor oil for lube. It's snapping back now no problem.

Good luck on yours!

😢

Toast, these are on the stock bars. Hardly any marks!

But I'll clean off the grease and add silicone or something along the lines of it...

yeah coeshow is right about the stock bars rusting cause when i changed to my pro-tapers my stock bar was all rusty on the throttle side... SO THIS IS A WARNING TO ALL STOCK BAR RIDERS. GET IN THERE AND SPRAY SOME WD-40, OR BUY A PAIR OF TAPERS!!! 😢

Just a update guys, the throttle is fixed. Cleaned it off and threw in some silicone and works like new. I just noticed the throttle on my YZF is the same, I'll be cleaning out the grease as well today.

Thanks again guys 😢