4 strokes or 2 strokes ?(for racing woods)

Tight single track: KTM 200EXC (light)

Little of everything: KTM 300EXC (Best all-around bike)

Wide open fireroads, fast trails etc: KTM 525 EXC

I bought the 525EXC for the green sticker. I still miss my old 300 a lot. ?

The KTM 200's or KDX200/220's are the best bikes for the tight nasty stuff.

If I were going to buy 2 bikes I get a 525 and 200, if I could only have ONE bike, I'd get the KTM 300. (probably a 2002 since I live in CA)

If you don't like KTM's, get a YZ250.

Good luck,

My parents had 2 1964 Suzuki 120's (Not sure the model??) but they ran til the mid 80's with only gas, oil and a few spark plugs.

They were dual sport bikes and were rode down the hi-way many times.

This is why I always wonder were people get the idea that 4-strokes are reliable? I haven't seen one go 20 years with out any maintainnce yet? MX bikes run at high RPM's and thus need more maintaince, 4-stroke MX bikes needs it all the time, 2-strokes MX bikes are much less maintaince.

Mixing oil is not that hard?

If I didn't live in CA my KTM525EXC would be a KTM300EXC. I wish my YZ450F was a 2005 YZ250, but oh well. ?

Cheers,

4 stroke, all the way, everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I raced 2 strokes for 20 years. I also liked my commodore 64 computer when it first came out. I had some trouble switching to a 4 stroke and you have to ride the 4 a bit differently. Once you make the transition, you'll appreciate not having to premix, no smoke, fouled plugs, pipe spooge, repack, goo.... 2 strokes were great in their day and they still have a power advantage. But todays 4 strokes rip. You've got a "pro-stock" engine in a dirtbike you can buy off the showroom floor. I'll never go back to 2 strokes. It's yesterdays engine and they are powerful but they are so inefficient on gas. My 4 stroke (KX250F) goes three times as far on a tank which means less wasted time getting fuel. Any power advantage in the 2 stroke is cancelled out. 2 strokes are, in my opinion, getting phased out in favor of more environmentally friendly and fuel efficient 4 strokes.

Rest In Peace 2 strokes. ?

Tight single track: KTM 200EXC (light)

Little of everything: KTM 300EXC (Best all-around bike)

Wide open fireroads, fast trails etc: KTM 525 EXC

I bought the 525EXC for the green sticker. I still miss my old 300 a lot. ?

The KTM 200's or KDX200/220's are the best bikes for the tight nasty stuff.

If I were going to buy 2 bikes I get a 525 and 200, if I could only have ONE bike, I'd get the KTM 300. (probably a 2002 since I live in CA)

If you don't like KTM's, get a YZ250.

Good luck,

would a 6'5" 260 lb guy like a 200 0r 220 2-stroke?

• Experts

No Brainer. 2 strokes kick butt in the tight woods! Weight and center of gravity is a huge advantage! ?

Hummmmm, Wonder why I have been kicking 2 stroke butt since 1987 ? I have been racing the AA class , Open A class, Senior A class ( and some 4 stroke A ) But mostly classes with 2 strokes included. The torque of a 4 banger , provides superior traction, tractability, and forgiveness. Doesn't burn as much fuel either ( less gas stops ).

Cher'o,

Dwight

im gunna have to stick with my 4 stroke for the woods. i dont have to use the clutch nearly as often in the woods with my 500 as i do with my cousins yz 250. same with the gas. in 3 hours he filled up about 3 times. i never have to fill up with gas. and on the maintnence issue. 4 strokes arent bad on maintnence. ill stick with a 4stroke. i absolutely hate 2strokes. ?

No Brainer. 2 strokes kick butt in the tight woods! Weight and center of gravity is a huge advantage! ?

Hummmmm, Wonder why I have been kicking 2 stroke butt since 1987 ? I have been racing the AA class , Open A class, Senior A class ( and some 4 stroke A ) But mostly classes with 2 strokes included. The torque of a 4 banger , provides superior traction, tractability, and forgiveness. Doesn't burn as much fuel either ( less gas stops ).

Cher'o,

Dwight

Sure with your talent you could probably win on mini bike. ?

You cant argue with the facts: In reality the GNCC series runs eastern woods type courses and it shows the top guys winning on 2 strokes. Scott Summers is doing very well on a four stroke in GNCC but he is not human. In other eastern racing Mike Lafferty tried a year on a 4 stroke and went back to the 2 stroke to be competitive. I prefer riding a four stroke for the reasons Dwight mentions but racers choose equipment to be most competitive! That is why they choose 2 strokes for tight woods! ?

Cher'o,

Dwight

You cant argue with the facts: In reality the GNCC series runs eastern woods type courses and it shows the top guys winning on 2 strokes. Scott Summers is doing very well on a four stroke in GNCC but he is not human. In other eastern racing Mike Lafferty tried a year on a 4 stroke and went back to the 2 stroke to be competitive. I prefer riding a four stroke for the reasons Dwight mentions but racers choose equipment to be most competitive! That is why they choose 2 strokes for tight woods! ?

Sure, when you have factory sponsors that GIVE you everything you want for FREE, you can take a two stroke and make it into a machine that will beat any four stroke. But then you have a $12,000+ maching. Out of the box and with very minimal (cheap) modification for either bike, The 4-strokers are more competitive.

I prefer the 4-stroke. Every 2-stroke I've ever ridden was no power, then too much. That includes KTM exc's and the kdx200.

Well, I take that back, cr and kx 500's don't have a pronounced hit, but they have too much power everywhere for me to go fast. I'm 180 lb 4-stoke A rider.

For me, the 250f 4-sk with a big flywheel weight is better everywhere. ?

• Experts

Cher'o,

Dwight

First of all Mike Lafferty was kicking serious arse with the 4 stroke RFS . It was a marketing move to promote the 2 stroke is why he went back to the 250 2 banger.

Next I raced in a fairly tight woods H/S today down in Wiggins, MS. ( SERA H/S Series ) and won today against serious competition that were on 2 strokes. ( GAS GAS 300 and a Honda CR500 ). The CR500 got the holeshot with me in second. About halfway through the first lap I went wide in a sandy turn and the Gas Gas 300 got by me. I kept them in sight till I was held up at the scoring booth due to my transponder not registering. About a lap later I caught up with the Honda 500 and passed him just as we went into the tight woods. I pulled away. I caught sight of the GG300 and reeled him in . I passed him about a mile from the scoring booth going into the last lap. I put a minute and 30 seconds on him that last lap. Oh, yes, the race was a total of 47miles, I hit a top speed during the race of 59mph. I had enough gas to go about 1 more mile at finish. The 2 strokes had extra capacity fuel tanks and didn't need to stop for fuel. I was running the stock 2 gal tank on my KTM 525 EXC.

There is nothing wrong with the 2 strokes. But overall I have never seen a significant advantage in offroad racing.

OH, YES, I rode a 2 stroke last weekend at the ISDT Reunion ride. I rode a 1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat 125. I thought that would be enough to win on. I got my arse kicked by another riding a Rickman / Triumph 500cc Twin. I only won 1 special test. And that was only by 1 sec.

I am now looking for a BSA B50MX. HEHEHE

Cher'o,

Dwight

I am surprised how competitive my 04 TE 250 Husqvarana is against 2 strokes and bigger 4 strokes in the woods we typically ride . I too have ridden 2 strokes for 30+ years, this is my 1st 4 stroke. 19-20 MPH averages are max for me on a really good day, lots of turns and roots, typical enduro (actually many Nationals held here over the years). If the trail or riding area opens up and has long and/or power robbing straights (or deeep sand) - FORGET IT, the big 4 strokes and 2 strokes walk away, but I don't ride those areas often. I'll stay with the 250 4 stroke fo now, previus bike was a 300 Gas Gas which was also a fine machine, like the TE 250 notably better. Thing is a 300 or 350 4 stroke would be the best of all (for my conditions), I would like to see mfg make one off the shelf as big bore kits are expensive, the 200cc and over 450cc diplacements fit into "classes" anyhow...

MSTex