Sign in to follow this  

Cam chain plaque build up

Burned or some whos been into alot of 4strokes. Have you ever seen any motorcycle cam chain with severe oil plaque build up on the cam chain?

What kind of milege have you seen this develope if so, or do you see signs of this often?

I noticed my DRZ Cam chain looks very clean and sprockets looked to show no wear, just curious as to what's been seen in other bikes, more than likely running regular petroleum oil?

not sure i follow?ive never seen any deposits on a cam chain itself.

hyvo chains seem not wear the sprockets.ive replaced cam chains in bikes that tensioner is maxed out and gears look new.

cant say ive seen corralation as far as oil goes with cam chain life.

both cam chains in both of my bikes have yet to stretch.i havent touched either tensioner.

the supermoto just finished a season of racing.

im pulling it down soon to freshen it up.i expect it to be like new inside.

Well , many years ago I replaced the timing chain on a 350 chevy with about 100k on it. Even though the oil had been changed frequently through out it's life, as I remember it had oil plaque build up on it's chain side plates. Was just wondering if this is seen in the motorcycle enviornment?

Well , many years ago I replaced the timing chain on a 350 chevy with about 100k on it. Even though the oil had been changed frequently through out it's life, as I remember it had oil plaque build up on it's chain side plates. Was just wondering if this is seen in the motorcycle enviornment?

Nylon teeth on the gear?

Nylon teeth on the gear?

Yeh, it had the nylon gear, installed the steel, chain had alot of slack too.

A lot of times, the nylon teeth leads to the "plaque" you describe. The nylon teeth are there to make the chain quieter. And it works. But the gears wear to a certain point and then the chain jumps times when you shut the motor off. Then, when you go to crank it over the next time it has no compression. Ask anyone who's had a GM 3.8L GM engine....