Sign in to follow this  

Brand new DR, jerky

Been out riding my brand new DR650 all day. Below half throttle up to about half throttle the bike is kind of chunky or jerky, Kind of like if you have water in your gas (I ran through a tank and put fresh in, still does it). It seems to go away when I get on it? Is this just a tight motor? I put 114 miles on it, should I just attribute it to breaking in? Will it get smoother or should I have it checked out? Thanx for your help, Ed

Are you lugging the motor? What I mean is are the rpms a bit low for the given gear your in?

When I first got my bike I was hesitant to rev it and so the revs were to low making it buck and rattle something awful. The bike is smoothest in its mid range,over 2,000 rpms. The 650 idles at 1,000 and red lines at 8,000. With no tach its all a matter of feel that you will get with time on the bike.If it feels herky jerky give it a lower gear or another 500 rpm and it will probably smooth out. With a passenger you'll need more.

One rule of thumb to see if your lugging it is that with the stock gearing the bike will lug badly in 5th gear below 50mph. Stay in 4th up to 52mph and the bike will purr and pull fine.Don't worry about over reving it in fourth,fourth will pull out to 70-75mph no problem,but don't rev it like that until its broke in around 500 miles or more.

Under reving a motor isn't good for it either.

I cruise in 5th at 52mph or above (it has a 14 tooth front sprocket)no lower.

Mike.