Sign in to follow this  

A Cool Replacement Headlight bulb?

Is there a light bulb out there that will work in the xr400 light that doesnt give out yellow light? Is there a hyperwhite bulb that will fit? I want something a little differnt to help it stick out. Want a really white light or blue light. Any help?

I don't know if there anything out there but just pull the bulb and take it to the auro store and try to match it up.

I don't have my oem headlight so that's the best I can do. Just don't put something in that is too much higher in watts. Your bike won't light it up as well. Also be warry of heat by the plastic lens.

If you install a brighter bulb, the system might not be able to light it to it's full potential. Stick with the stock lighting bulb.

PIAA makes a 40 watt extreme white bulb that fits the XR's...very nice, no problem with the alternator. Very bad in that it's $30 and hard to find...even on the PIAA website.

My dad went to the autopart store today and tryed to find me some bulbs and he found the taillight but, the guy there said he had never seen the headlight bulb before...So I guess Im going to have to live with the stocker. Well thanks for the help. 😢

The little twin UFO lights on my XR4 are alot more White than the standard head light.

You can see photo's of it in my signiture.

But what you mean is an actuall bulb! dont you? You may be able to find some special thats more white, But the alternator may not have enough power to run it.

Well thats what I think anyway.

Baja Designs. Glass lense, uses standard H3 bulbs. You can change wattage by simply chainging the bulb, not the lens. Fits in the stock housing. Only about $40 and well worth it. IMHO

The Baja Designs lighting upgrade is a standard Honda part. It is the glass lens that shipped on some of the mid 80's XR500R. If you search this forum, you will find the honda part number for it in many places. Even your dealer should have the listing for both the plastic lens and the glass H3 lens on his/her microfiche. Note that the Australian bikes typically have a different headlight than the North American versions (larger lens, dual filament non-halogen, as they are sold road legal right off the floor). The above replacement lens is for the North American style plastic number plate/lens holder combo.

I just got off the phone with Baja Designs and ordered the stock replacement headlamp kit which comes with a glass lens and 55w hallogen bulb. The person I spoke to stated the stock stator works good with the 55w bulb but the stator would need to be rewound for higher wattage bulbs. The person I spoke with seemed to be very knowledgeable and was very friendly.

A friend purchased the Baja Designs headlamp kit with glass lens and 55w hallogen bulb for his XR400 and experienced significant improvement even with stock stator, but later had it rewound and the improvement was much more noticable. I'm about ready to do the same on mine.

Ok, I dont want to rewind my stator. So could I run the BD with the 55w hallogen bulb. How much does this cost? Also is the light more white than stock. Or is it still yelloish?

Bluestragler pretty much nailed it. You can run the 55W with the stock stator, and it will be way better than the plastic turd 35W, but it still won't be blinding white. You will definitely notice it go yellow/orange moreso at idle (when the electric output is at its lowest). The only way to get bright-all-the-time lighting with 55W or higher bulbs is to do the rewind. I've a 90/100W H4 in the Baja Designs headlight (their own one, not the Honda "upgrade" one) and I couldn't imagine going back to a crap-o 35W thing. They are hideous, and with it getting dark so early now, you HAVE to have a decent light up here. 😢

Well I should of stated above that I really dont need a bright light, just want one that isnt so yellowish. I do not ride at dark since my brothers xr650r has a number plate now and all my other friends are on mx 125s. I just wanted something cool looking when Im out racing to get even more attention. I also think it pisses off the MX guys when a bike with a headlight and taillight passes them. 😢 But I still do not want my bike looking like a dualsport bike. 😢

But how much is a stator rewind incase I go that way. thanks 😢

not sure how much wattage it takes, but if you could rig up a strobe light on your rear fender, i bet that would get some attention, and probably mess with the guys behind you pretty good too. 😢

I just came in from installing my new glass lens headlamp and 55w hallogen bulb from Baja Designs. I took it for a quick spin down in the canyon and what a difference. White and plenty bright. As posted earlier it is a factory Honda lens as it came in a factory honda bag. I'm thinking a dual helmet light setup with a battery will round out my night riding lighting setup. I'm going to skip the stator rewind. I think if I was riding in wide open country I'd want more light but at the speeds I can run around here I'm not going to over-run my light. I also installed the IMS Pro-Series foot pegs and am very happy with the feel. Makes the bike feel more stable if that makes any sense.

You can also buy that lighting upgrade kit separately from Honda. Do a search and you'll find the part # posted.

It was about $40.00. Includes lens, bulb, and socket.