California plug and needle shimming

I want to drill out the "california plug" and re-shim my stock needle. I am a very capable mechanic but new to motorcycles. Could someone please guide me on how to perform this modification, pictures would help if possible. My bike has the around town jerkyness and I found several threads that say this mod. will remedy this issue. Thanx alot, Ed

Haven't shimmed anything myself, but here's a pic of the needle and stock washers, the one I'm holding is what allows the needle to be pushed back down by the spring, must go above the needle clip....

PICT0229.jpg

thay all have the plug as far as i know.

as far as washers for the needle i wouldn't mess with that. spring a whole $60 for the dynojet kit and get the improved needle which looks nothing like the stock version, assortment of jets etc and make it a no guesswork job. hard to screw it up really.

On the advice of SEVERAL of the TT'ers here, I bought the Dynojet kit within weeks of my bike. I then took the 'snorkel' off the airbox...(at least I THINK it's what everyone is calling the snorkel..on top of the airbox, I suppose it's to help avoid getting water in to the filter), and removed the fire screen. This was a nice improvement in both sound AND performance...and I have yet to do the dynojet. I've been too busy at work, and when not at work, just want to ride...well, and I'm also a big wheeny and am scared of messing it up!! I used to have a KX, and would have jumped into that with both feet, but this four stroke stuff is so new to me, I'm still kinda scared about doing it.

I did however read a post from someone a week or so ago, that did the dynojet thing, and he had no problems at all. I guess I should get off my dead a$$ and onto my dying feet and just do it, eh?

Dynojet said to leave off the cover of the airbox. I guess the snorkel is under the seat? I am buying the damn service manual so I don't have to keep asking these stupid questions. A lot of people suggest removing the snorkel, would this be better/worse than leaving the side cover off, or should both be done? Also do you guys have excperience with K&N air filters? I have one on my Tacoma and it works great, how about with the DR? Thanx alot guys, Ed

PLEASE read thru the most recent page or two on this forum, you'll see a thread or two on the differences of filters...me I'm for foam (you might be too after reading thru the links...) but others still use the cotton K&N...

California plug?

By this do you mean the second hole in the bottom of the slide? I drilled that out on my "east coast" 650 and it "may have" contributed to quicker throttle response.

It also "may have" contributed to some carb flutter when the bike is run hard over whooped-up trails.

?

?

Mike.