Sign in to follow this  

What to look for in a used yzf

I am, like many others, venturing into 4-stroke land. I have decided on a yzf, although I do prefer the new CRF...I just can't afford an OTD bike.

Here's the situation. I am looking at spending no more then $3000 and am hoping to get a nice ride out of it. Right now I ride a '99 CR125 and am getting a '90 CR250 to ride while I wait for the 125 to sell. In the mean time, I get to look at yzf's.

I am thinking '03 model or atleast an '02 with the upgraded auto decomp cam. I want to stay as new as possible since I don't want to have as much worry of reliability.

So, what to look for in a used yzf?

Are there any known issues to look out for?

This will be my first 4-stroke purchuse, so I don't exactly know what to look out for. I know all the normal stuff that I would check on any bike I went to look at. I am more or less looking for brand specific advice. So tell me what ya know if ya don't mind.

This site kicks major ass. Read through it, tyope it out if you need to and bring it in a clipboard. Just put down the things that you think will apply. Did it when I bought my bike. Big help. 😢

one thing i found when shopping for the bike was to look at the pegs people will put on new plastics but they wont replace pegs look underneath and on the side that will tell you how much its been dropped