Sign in to follow this  

Where the hell is the vacuum slide?

Where is the vacuum slide that holds the needle? I want to add a shim the the needle. Thanx, Ed

The slide is the black plastic tubular piece approximately 1" in diameter centered in the body of the carb. It is raised by a vacuum diaphram located on the top of the carb.

The slide inturn raises the needle through the jet.

Not to be a smart ass but do yourself a favor and spring for a Dynajet kit which has the proper parts and directions to do the job right rather than just shiming, swapping,and guessing!

I've worked on engines most of my life and believe a kit like thiers is the way to go.

They know what combos work best with what other mods you've done or plan to do. The kit also provides for future mods that can come later. IE;Air box mod,pipe...

You'll have a better running bike and alot less hassel.

Oh one tip for you,watch out for the choke cable! If you take it out, it's nut is made of nylon and will cross thread really easy when you try to re-install it. Let the carb hang from the cable when you do the work to be on the safe side.

Mike.

PS- check out Dyna jets web site,I believe they post the instructions for the kit complete with pictures!

thanx for the tip Sgtmike. I will probably get the dynojet kit, and drill out the plug on the bottom.

Sgt is right for sure. Kit has easy instructions etc. No brainer. Whats your elevation there?

Sea level, Dynojet e-mailed me and said the only mod to the air box is to leave off the cover. Do you think with the dynojet kit and drilling out the plug so I can get to the air/fuel mixture screw will get rid of my below half throttle jerkyness? Do you guys run a K&N airfilter? Thanx for all your help, Ed

Leaving off the cover is the easy way out but to do the job right leave the cover on, remove the snorkle and open up the top of the box by cutting it out or drilling a couple of 2" holes in the top like I did. Removing the backfire screen and adding a K&N air cleaner will dramatically improve air flow and a jet size bigger will be in order. I found that with the Dynajet kit the Dynajet needle and 155 jet worked best with the stock pipe.

Drilling out the plug exposes the air idle mixture screw.The 650 came really lean from the factory. Readjusting the idle mixture to 2 1/2 turns out will richen it up and really help smooth it out. In fact I know it will be what you want! 😢

Oh yeh,the reason that the sidecover removal doesn't work well is...

It lets alot more water spray in from the road,puddles,and just washing the bike with a hose will drown it(forget forging streams or flooded trails).

Its alot louder!(kind of works like flipping the air cleaner lid on your moms car to hear that BAAWAAA when you kicked it 😢)

It lets more dirt in(the dirt and water don't make it under the seat as bad)

I may be wrong but I think the bike ran smoother with the top cut than with the side cover off.

Finally when the newness wears off an aftermarket pipe will really boost the power. I went with the FMF Q-pipe(with a 170 jet and "it ain't that quiet")but most any other brand will do the job.

For now the air box mod will make you very happy.

Mike.

PS- Taking off the air cover will let more air in leaning it out futher.The mixture srcew only affects idle. You'll need to change the main jet or the bike will run really lean and may surge at mid range or cruise speeds.

Thanx Sgt. I will do the air box mods as you suggested. Will the back fire screen and snorkel make themselves apparent when I remove the seat? Also do you have a reccomnedation as to where to get the K&N filter? Thanx alot for your help, Ed

The snorkle is on top of the air box under the seat.Just pull it out. The backfire screen is found behind the air cleaner once the sidecover is removed. The opening for the screen is about the size of a baseball while the snorkles opening wouldn't let a golf ball pass through. You've got to wonder how it runs so well in its stock form at all.

Its like trying to jog while breathing through a soda straw!

Mike.

www.mawonline.com has good prices.

that screen is just inside the lip of that huge black rubber thingamajig. loosen the big round black clamp that fastens the front of the the airbox to the huge black rubber thingamajig. seperate them, it's just inside the thingamajig. sgt was right about the airbox being loud if you take the airbox cover off IF you still have the stock muffler. Mine made a loud thumping noise, kinda funny really. We left it like that and put the supertrapp on the same day and neverheard it again. Least i can't hear it.

SOOO i have the cover and snorkel off. Seldom rains in the desert, no worries about water.

The snorkle is on top of the air box under the seat.Just pull it out. The backfire screen is found behind the air cleaner once the sidecover is removed. The opening for the screen is about the size of a baseball while the snorkles opening wouldn't let a golf ball pass through. You've got to wonder how it runs so well in its stock form at all.

Its like trying to jog while breathing through a soda straw!

Mike.

www.mawonline.com has good prices.