Sign in to follow this  

2003 CAM FOR A 2002 YZ250F

I have a 2002 yz250f and would like to put in the 2003 cam with the auto decompression. Where is a good place to get it from and if anyone has the part #. do you have to change anything else, reshimming, etc...? Is it an easy task? Thanks

I put the cam in my '02 and it is pretty easy. Just take your time and follow the directions available in Thumperfaq.

The other piece that you will need is the decompression plug. When you remove the decompression lever in the head it will leave an open hole. The best piece I have seen is the plug that is offered in the ThumperTalk Store. It's about $20.00 I believe. I just have the rubber coated metal piece that Yamaha offers and I have had no problems. Other TTer's have have problems with the plug popping out. The plug from the TT Store solves this problem and looks trick too.

I did not have to reshim my valves when I changed the cam but every bike is different.

Your gonna love bike without the decompressor!

Actually found mine on Ebay. No Problems receiving it. I'm putting mine in this fall. These guys on TT have been great edumacating me.....

The other piece that you will need is the decompression plug. When you remove the decompression lever in the head it will leave an open hole. The best piece I have seen is the plug that is offered in the ThumperTalk Store. It's about $20.00 I believe. I just have the rubber coated metal piece that Yamaha offers and I have had no problems. Other TTer's have have problems with the plug popping out. The plug from the TT Store solves this problem and looks trick too.

This is the neatest way, but it isn't necessary to remove the decomp lever at all. BUT, if you leave it in, be sure the OEM return spring stays on it to keep it out of trouble. The only time it's inconvenient to have it there is if you need to reshim that particular valve.