Whip Mounts for Duning?

Yeah I'm a Newbie 2 TT...Just found it tonite and I'm ? of ya'all.

My first topic is those dang whips we all keep going through on our 2 wheelers while duning. I have had the best luck with an axle mounted, narrow stainless steel whip and am looking for a clean set-up to attach to the fender to stabilize the whip better than with zip ties.

Any suggestions?

Also: I know this is TT but ? I was wondering if any of you T-Heads have had any experience in getting more low and mid-range torque out of a CR 85? I've been told to keep a strict 32:1 mix ratio, to drop the needle 1 stop from the factory setting (middle of 5 spots) and back-out the air screw about half a turn, and go with a 51 tooth sprocket. What ya think?

I've been running a Flick Whip mount after running a Hinson mount that replaces the right axle block. I have broken tons of flags with an axle mount even after drilling a hole.

The Flick Whip works good, but run a rubber base (I have broken the whip with my foot getting on a few times without the rubber thing).

they all suck especially swing arm mounted ones!I tried them all...made a few of my own which worked longer then all the rest and it still is junk.

If you ride fast the whip will break eventually...it cant handle the whipping back and forth that takes place on a dirtbike which doesnt take place on a quad/rail/etc...

Wearing one in a backpack or chest protector works good but I wont do it becuase I dont want to get stabbed if I do crash and it breaks.

My whip lasted about 3 miles this past weekend and then I just said F it as I always do and run the small stubb that is left in the whip holder...if you get pulled over just tell them it broke and you are going to get money and then going to buy one...

My experience has proven that the added support of the fender hole helps big time. I've never broken a whip since I've had the hole. Actually the hole is in an older fender that I just swap out before hitting the sand. A little extra work, but not a bother.

I'm talking about using the axle mount but running the whip thru a hole in the fender as added support, not supporting the whip to the fender - not unlike tying exhaust springs to the exhaust so they don't vibrate.

So essentially, the whip has (2) points of contact/support:

@ the axle

@ the fender

Are you talk'n the same thing?

yes...the same thing.

2 of 3 bikes were mounted like that this weekend... 1 was mounted with the flag swingarm mount only...3 of 3 flags were gone on the first ride...nobdoy crashed, nobody kicked it and broke it getting on, etc...

I think flags on a db are a joke. I spend the 10 bucks when I get there and put one on but as soon as it breaks off...im done with worrying about a flag for the weekend. If they can catch me they can give me a ticket...but that aint gonna happen unless they come into my camp and ticket me while im drinking beer and bench racing.

I think its the 3 foot whoops at 60 mph for miles or the nasty G-outs at the bottom of dunes that break them off...

the whips just cant take the shock for that long without fatiguing and then breaking...kinda like a paperclip..bend it back and forth so many times it eventually brakes.

This may sound funny but i busted my whip 3 secs. into my riding at pismo this weekend and a guy who goes there regularly showed me how to shove it right in between my front fork guard and fork, zip it to the fork and zip it to the handle bars. It did not obstruct my vision as i thought and i did not break it. Weird but it worked! ?