Sign in to follow this  

grinding chain guard tabs

anyone ever grind off those ugly chain guard tabs? I want to but I dont want it to look like I grinded them off. Any sugestions or ideas?

I kept the chain guard on mine. If your careful with the grinder and touch it up after...I can't see why it would look bad.

It's just one of those "no turning back" mods. once you start...you have to finish.

Yes I cut/ground mine off.. What does it look like???? well like two something’s on the top of the swing arm have been ground off 😢

It is not a finish look that’s for sure. But I like it better then the tabs just sticking up.

Remember the swing arm is thin wall tube. A miss step with the cut off tool/ grinder / tool of destruction... and you'll be looking for a local welder for repair,,, or asking around to see who has a spare swing arm 😢

I have ground extra tabs off of my DRZ without any problems. A high speed abrasive grinder is the best way to take off the bulk of the metal. A file will give the best finish, but a dremel tool will also work for the final cleanup. Don't take off too much at one time. Go slow and you can make it look very good in the end.

Yes I cut/ground mine off.. What does it look like???? well like two something’s on the top of the swing arm have been ground off 😢

It is not a finish look that’s for sure. But I like it better then the tabs just sticking up.

Remember the swing arm is thin wall tube. A miss step with the cut off tool/ grinder / tool of destruction... and you'll be looking for a local welder for repair,,, or asking around to see who has a spare swing arm 😢

Yeap, that swingarm is thin, but by no means is it paper thin, so don't psych yourself out too much, just be careful. I have a NASTY gash in my swingarm near the top side that looks scary but have taken a lot of punishment (knock on wood)

Jerry