Sign in to follow this  

How much does the steel gas tank weigh, including cap?

Does any one know how much the steel gas tank weighs on the "S" model, with the cap? How much weight would I be saving going to a 3.2 gal. IMS tank? 😢

I have weighed the stock steel tank , and have the weight numbers at home.I will post them later. 😢

I can tell you this though.My IMS 4.2 gallon tank weighed more ,if i recall then the steel tank and plastic shrouds combined.. 😢 :cry:...so if anyone thinks they are saving weight with the 4.2 versus stock...think again.The 3.2 i'm not sure ,but i believe that one may be less than the steel one.

And if there were any weight savings it would be offset by the extra weight of the larger fuel capacity. you go to a larger gas tank for the extra distance you can travel, not the weight savings 😢

And if there were any weight savings it would be offset by the extra weight of the larger fuel capacity. you go to a larger gas tank for the extra distance you can travel, not the weight savings 😢

Yes,, but that is a different issue.. Of course more fuel, will weigh more. 😢

The poster asked just about the weight of the steel tank.. and many have asked that same question,, thinking they would see huge weight savings if they swapped to a plastic tank. I have a steel tank I can weigh... but I forgot to weigh the 3.2 IMS prior to install...... I can tell you,,, it "felt" like approximately the same weight, if not it's real close.

Even with that heavy locking gas cap? Is there anything you can replace that cap with that is lighter?

😢

For anyone still interested. 😢..in what i said earlier about posting actual weights.

Stock steel tank including shrouds and steel locking gas cap: 7.93lbs or 3.6kg

IMS 4.2 gallon including plastic gas cap( no shrouds of course) as they are built in and also hold gas:8.82lbs or 4 kg !!!..so there you have it.The steel set-up ain't as heavy as everyone might imagine. If anyone knows the weight of the IMS 3.2 gal..post it here.

I have the IMS 3.2 in blue. It weighs about the same as my stock tank. I hated the locking cap on the stock tank! I hate metal tanks for anything off road. The extra .6 gallons is nice. I top my tank to almost the top before I go riding because I usually have about 20 miles of road riding before I get to the trail. I've gone on many 100+ mile rides. The record for a tank of fuel for me is about 165 miles. My bike actually died 5 miles from the gas station. I then laid it on it's left side and restarted it. Rode to the gas station and put in exactly 3.2 gallons of gas. When people complain about the extra weight because the extra gas that's not a problem. If your not going on a long ride don't fill it all the way up.

How much more flexible are the plastic tanks? I was riding in some really root-filled 2nd gear trails today I got a little crossed up and tank slapped REALLY hard for a couple seconds.. The inside of my knees are pretty bruised up.. the steel tanks is... HARD. 😢

Even with that heavy locking gas cap? Is there anything you can replace that cap with that is lighter?

😢

A rag but that can get messy in the whoops. 😢

• Like 1

A rag but that can get messy in the whoops.

😢 :cry: Hrmmmm DRZ Molotov Cocktail?.... Boom. 😢

Caution, this option is not advised for smokers. 😢 :cry:

• Like 1