Sign in to follow this  

High altitude jetting

Im moving to Denver in January and want to know if I should re-jet or change anything on the bike for high-altitude riding.

Thanks.

Burned would be the man to answer this one. 😢..and not only because he is a walking dictionary on the DRZ, but the fact he lives in Colorado , and at altitude,, 😢..so stay put and he will get to you.

Im moving to Denver in January and want to know if I should re-jet or change anything on the bike for high-altitude riding.

Thanks.

You need to also specify your bike - E/K or S model, depends on the carb - BSR36 on the S, FCR39 on the E/K 😢

Also if you have stock pipe or aftermarket 😢

Just want to say welcome to colorado, as I am sure you know the riding out here is great and you will really get to stretch the bikes legs 😢 As far as jetting I am sure bronco or burned will chime in but they will need to know how your currently set up, what elevation yu came from, 3x3 opening exhaust type of bike/carburator type etc. You will love it out here although january tends to be a little cold/snowy.. 😢

I think you need to spec if you have any engine mods, pipe, etc. before the experts can give you a good answer.

no problem.just need to know specifics.

OK, if you have the time, I'd appreciate some info on mine. I have a model year 2000 S with a full Yosh pipe. I will be doing a 3 x 3. I live at 5,200 feet and often ride as high as double that, but never or very rarely below 4,000 feet. Since it gets hot here, our density altitude is often such that my base altitude is effectively 6,000 feet.

My two questions are what my jetting should be after the 3 x 3 mod and if running a K&N is worth the bother / expense. I'm currently running just the pipe with the stock jetting and the bike runs very well. Any other mod suggestions welcome.

TIA

no problem.just need to know specifics.

OK, if you have the time, I'd appreciate some info on mine. I have a model year 2000 S with a full Yosh pipe. I will be doing a 3 x 3. I live at 5,200 feet and often ride as high as double that, but never or very rarely below 4,000 feet. Since it gets hot here, our density altitude is often such that my base altitude is effectively 6,000 feet.

My two questions are what my jetting should be after the 3 x 3 mod and if running a K&N is worth the bother / expense. I'm currently running just the pipe with the stock jetting and the bike runs very well. Any other mod suggestions welcome.

TIA

stick with a foam filter in the dirt.

128 main jet

dj needle

3rd clip

dj slide spring

stock 22.5 pilot

2.5 turns fuel screw

stick with a foam filter in the dirt.

128 main jet

dj needle

3rd clip

dj slide spring

stock 22.5 pilot

2.5 turns fuel screw

OK. I'm guessing that dj means Dynojet. I've heard of those kits here on this board. Can I get those parts from the TT store ala carte outside the entire kit or must I buy a whole kit with all jets, etc.?

As usual, reaffirming Burned's recommendation. I recently moved to Denver as well 😢

My S needed the #2 (from top - one step leaner) needle position, I attribute that to the Hotcam intake, which was happier with one step leaner jetting than the stock intake.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1477377/page/12/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Oh and by the way, this awaits you 😢

Wherewegoing2.jpg