Sign in to follow this  

New Sprocket vs. New Exhaust - 04 250F

I was thinking about getting a new exhaust, but someone said to save the $300 and buy a new rear sprocket instead for far less money. He said the power gains would be about the same. Sounds hard to believe since just about everyone switches out the stock exhaust.

Depends on riding level. An AMA "A" rider that carries his (or her) speed through the corners may get more bang for the buck by running an exhaust that stretches out the powerband or allows the bike to pull harder in the upper RPM's. Most "A" riders can get away with stock gearing because the maintain corner speed. On the other hand, a weekend rider may benefit more from a larger sprocket. The change in gearing would help pull the bike from corners with little to no clutch work and make the bike a little easier to ride. If I had to pick only one, pipe vs sprocket, I would look at my riding style, and wallet, before I made any decision.

You have to realize that (most of the time) an exhaust system will give you power gains on every RPM of the powerband while a sprocket will take away top end and give you low end or take away low end and give you top end. You can't just change your sprocket with a larger tooth sprocket and all of a sudden get insane power gains or something. 😢

On the other hand, a weekend rider may benefit more from a larger sprocket. The change in gearing would help pull the bike from corners with little to no clutch work and make the bike a little easier to ride.

I'm leaning towards the sprocket then to start off with and see how that goes, since it's a lot less money, and my riding style is definitely weekend warrior. Do you recommend a certain size rear sprocket? I think I read that going to the 49 tooth is a pretty good choice for most riders. And by changing the sprocket, do I need to change anything else at the same time (kinda like rejetting after changing the exhaust)?

Depends on riding level. An AMA "A" rider that carries his (or her) speed through the corners may get more bang for the buck by running an exhaust that stretches out the powerband or allows the bike to pull harder in the upper RPM's. Most "A" riders can get away with stock gearing because the maintain corner speed.

Actually its the exact opposite on the pipe. Its not neccessary at all if you can carry speed. Spend you money on track time.

If you are just a weekend warrior looking for a little more low-end, I would recommend a 50t sprocket. The 04's come stock with a 48t, right?

If your stock sprocket is worn you probably should look at changing the countershaft sprocket (front) as well as the chain. they should normally be changed as a group.

I would recomend going to rocky mountain (www.rockymountainmc.com ) and get a xring chain and Titax Stainless Rear Sprocket if you want it to last a long time. If money is a big issue the Titax Aluminum Rear Sprocket is a great deal.

The 50 tooth would be a good choice for smaller tracks or tight woods riding.

If your existing sprocket is not to worn yet, wait until it is. no matter what you do you will still benifit most from riding time.

have fun!

What year is your 250F?? I have an 04, and have kept putting standard type chains on due to clearance issues with the tranny case right behind the countershaft sprocket. It's VERY close there, and I fear that the extra width combined w/any endplay may cause some damage. I'd heard this elsewhere also immediately prior to buying my bike. When I looked for myself I was surprised at how close the chain runs. The WR's come with them I know, but they also have a different part # for the countershaft. I don't know if the length/sprocket spacing is the same. Just something to consider. I bought a DID ERT 520 for mine immediately after I got it in January, and have ridden almost weekly since I got it, and the chain still has plenty o life left in it.